Need more filling foods!

Options
Hi all,

I've recently started watching my calorie intake and trying to increase my exercise, however I find that the more exercise I do the more my appetite increases. I know you 'earn' extra calories by doing exercise but this doesn't seem to be enough for my body. I eat something sensible, like porridge and 30 minutes later I feel famished. Are there any foods or food group that are known for filling you up and keeping you full for at least a few hours? Otherwise I'm always in danger of going over my calorie allowance without actually eating unhealthily!

Sorry for the rant, any suggestions most welcome!

Replies

• km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    Quinoa is high in protein and very filling for me. You can add vegetables or meats to it to make a complete meal. I love it with broccoli, onion, and either chicken or salmon and make it into a stir fry.

It is also good as a salad. Served cold with apples and cinnamon is great for breakfast. You can make it into a "pasta salad" rather than using the nutrition-less pasta noodels.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    first, drink a good amount of water with the meal.

Other than that, lean meats and green veggies would be my biggest recommendations, though fruits and whole grains could get lumped in here as well (though the oatmeal you mentioned is a whole grain that is normally filling).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    filling<
    >not filling
    Fat----Protein
    Carbohydrate---
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    filling<
    >not filling
    Fat----Protein
    Carbohydrate---
    stop saying what i wanted to say. :p
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    When I'm in between meals and my stomach is growling my go-to is a greek yogurt.

The protein fills me up a lot more than my other carb-y snacks.