Options

A link or two for you to look at:

www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    No matter where you look online, you can find resources to support each and every theory. Find what works for you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    No matter where you look online, you can find resources to support each and every theory. Find what works for you.

I don't even think you read the links you posted
  • jjefferies7
    Options

Sure you can, but the difference is the are credible sources such as actual research, which was provided for you.
  • Carolyn1012
    Carolyn1012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry in the mornings when i get up. I normally don't get hungry until around 11a.m. and i just wait till noon to eat with my kids. Doing this also helps keep my calories under control, plus when i eat breakfast i want to eat all day.

This describes me perfectly! I only eat breakfast if I'm hungry. Eating when I am not hungry always starts my day off towards disaster. Unless Im hungry I do not eat until I'm ready for lunch. Its nice to hear these responses that people are giving!
  • StevenDweeb
    StevenDweeb Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Sure you can, but the difference is the are credible sources such as actual research, which was provided for you.

Exactly.
    People are lacking in the critical thinking skills to distinguish scientific research from folklore/bro-talk/internet musings.
    Like the graph posted that most will not understand --> correlation does not equal causation.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Don't eat breakfast then. Not eating breakfast isn't a crime. However, forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry just because you think you're supposed to, that should be a crime if it were my decision to make.
  • calmthundr2
    calmthundr2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First let me say that I agree with what several folks have mentioned that you should do whatever works for you (long term). That said, even though breaking meals up into 5-6 meals per day may not by itself have statistically significant weight loss results, I have to point out some of the other benefits.

First, having smaller but more frequent meals enabled me to get over the long-time fear of not getting "enough". For as long as I can remember, I feared not getting enough food or not filling up my plate enough. I wanted to leave the room if anyone mentioned the word "portion control". By having more frequent meals I was able to accept the smaller portions because I knew I would get to eat something else in 3-4 hours. That allowed me to trust enough to put down the fear of going without which was causing me to pile on more in the short term.

Second, after eating that way for a while, it prevented more binges. It enabled me to feel fuller more often and I simply didn't binge as often. Also, when I did binge, the binges simply weren't as big. I felt fuller faster (I presume because my stomach shrank to accomodate the new style of eating and, thus, I felt fuller faster on fewer calories but that is just my guess).

Lastly, for those of us who are diabetic, it made controlling my blood sugar much easier. The fewer calories per meal the less your body wants to jack up your blood sugar which means the highs are not as high. Your body can more easily keep up with the differences between when you have food and when you don't. This didn't seem to help as much with the overnight/fasting blood sugar as it did the 2 hour measure (which makes sense to me as it is a different mechanism, not as dependant simply on food taken in). I still have a long way to go but so far but I was able to cut out one of my blood sugar control meds with simply splitting up my meals alone (i.e. - before weight loss kicked in).

Again, if it harms your weight loss or you actually have a hard time doing it long term then do what works best. But if you haven't tried it or you have a reason to want to control it differently (e.g. - hyperglycemia) as I did, then I think it is worth a shot.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Not a problem!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what works for you. Save calories for when you're hungry. I had great success with that method.
  • karawRN
    karawRN Posts: 311
    Options
    same issue! Not hungry for breakfast at all. never been a breakfast eater and i dont plan to start.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Today and yesterday, I started having breakfast again after going a few months without... I'm starving all day too! I ate when I first woke up, even though I wasn't hungry, but now it's 2 hours later and all I can think about is food! I'm going to continue skipping breakfast from now on -- I think I was fine without it. The time you eat shouldn't make a difference.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry in the mornings when i get up. I normally don't get hungry until around 11a.m. and i just wait till noon to eat with my kids. Doing this also helps keep my calories under control, plus when i eat breakfast i want to eat all day. What do you guys recommend?

Continue what you're doing then. Eat with your kids at noon and skip breakfast

^Agreed
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    "When I eat while not hungry, I over eat for the day".

Yeah... come on... you know the answer.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    A protein shake is fast, filling, starts your day off right, and isn't "heavy". I do one scoop of chocolate Body Fortress, a cup of whole organic milk, and a cup of coffee. Tastes like a latte, has lots of protein and a bit of carbs and fat to keep you full for 290 calories.
  • sandrahulleman
    Options
    Oooooh, breakfast is so important. The word breakfast is actually "break the fast". Your body needs some nourishment in the morning to get you going.

Start with something you really like - fruit and yogurt; an egg and toast - and go from there. You will have more success evening out your food throughout the day than skipping meals.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    There's a difference on anecdotal evidence and actual scientific evidence. I go with scientific evidence. I don't eat breakfast except for 1 day a week. Usually have my first meal at 12pm. And that's after eating up till 12am.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, breakfast is so important. The word breakfast is actually "break the fast". Your body needs some nourishment in the morning to get you going.

Start with something you really like - fruit and yogurt; an egg and toast - and go from there. You will have more success evening out your food throughout the day than skipping meals.

Good luck!
    Anecdotal. The body doesn't really know what time it is when food is consumed. You can break a fast in the afternoon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I wouldn't eat if your not hungry. I try and eat breakfast as if I leave eating till later I tend to over eat but everyone's different. I can't always stomach anything too heavy I usually just have fruit and yoghurt, or a breakfast biscuit.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of the same way (not really hungry early in the AM); most times I don't do breakfast until 10 AM. Whatever works for you is what I would go for.