8 weeks, 36 lbs lost thanks to ketogenic ... get my tips

Options
Hi everyone,

I am a 47 yer old male who could never shed any weight despite being fit, exercising, eating sensibly, etc. Then 8 weeks ago someone mentioned that I should try a ketogenic diet (i.e. extremely low carbs). Well, here's what has happened in 8 weeks;
- 36 lbs lost
- it's effortless to lose around 1 lb per day if I want to
- blood pressure dramatically down
- waist down by around 4 inches
- tons more energy

I have never had as many compliments in my life either!

I have written a document detailing as much as I can about what I learned on this diet and how you too can adopt a low carb diet to lose that weight. Either email me via this website or send me an email to herrytews [at] gmail.com and I will email it to you.

You can do it!

Replies

• Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I like Garlic Bread too much
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It seems the more I try and lower my carbs the more carbs I consume...I usually don't eat bread but when I restrict it I want the entire loaf..... :/ but congrats to you. I don't have that much self control :(. I tell myself ok only 100 grams of carbs today and I almost double it. Any ideas to help?
  • msmoedee
    msmoedee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Could you give a sample day of what you eat?
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    As a fellow keto'er, I have got to recommend it as well! The body LOVES fat for fuel.. it's the most nutrient dense, it lubricates each and every cell in the body (their membranes are composed of protein and fat, just to give you an idea), and the brain is made up of 60% fat! Talk about feeding your BODY!
    Considering we all would like to lose our fat, a ketogenic diet makes sense because you deprive the body of burning mostly glucose for energy. Think of it this way:

Body contains fat: either stored due to excess calories or consumption of dietary fat.
    When you consume carbohydrate, the body burns this FIRST. if there's leftover (you aren't active enough to burn of your meal), your body converts the carb into fat stores. Over time, overconsumption of carbs results in fat stores. Eating excess fat results in fat stores. They are alike in this fashion.
    Carb energy is quick and fleeting.. it spikes the blood sugar and crashes, if there's nothing left over.
    Fat energy is slow burning and consistent. It balances the blood sugar and provides the body with dense energy to complete tough tasks like studying, problem solving, critical thinking, and of course marathon running, fast dancing, and coping with stressful events in life.

A ketogenic diet WORKS because it provides the body with NO CARB. Ketogenic diets are not completely carb free.. they contain between 20-50g of carbs a day. This is a reasonable amount that the body burns even at rest, so your body is forced to call on other fat stores to burn energy. By starving the body of the carb, it learns to burn fat for energy.
    Most people burn fat for energy when they skip meals or fast. Ever wonder why you get headaches and feel lethargic when you don't eat? it's the body's way of saying "Hey, I need carbs! Where are they? I can't remember how to access fat stores!"
    If you are consistent, our amazing bodies adapt and begin burning fat.. then you are able to access fat stores that have been sitting on your muscles and bones for YEARS! You will melt the inches off without even trying.
    HOWEVER, calories are important too. Don't forget your calories.. overeating is still overeating. Most people feel satiated on high fat, moderate protein diets and consume less food in the long run.
    I tend to eat 1-2 meals a day, including a morning breve latte (8oz, moderation, people). A TON of spinach/broccoli/celery/peppers/kale, cauliflower, some chicken and fish, lots of nut butters, egg dishes, salads with lemon juice and vinegar, and even DESSERTS! Oh, don't get me started on THOSE! :P

Here are some ketogenic/low carb diet blog recipes to get an idea of what we eat:
    Magic Cookie Bars: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/10/magic-cookie-bar.html
    Walnut Flax Pancakes: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/08/walnut-flax-pancakes-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html
    Grilled Tomatoes with Basil, Prosciutto, and Cheese: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/07/grilled-tomatoes-with-cheese-prosciutto-and-basil.html
    Coconut Flour Pizza Crust! http://www.annemariecain.com/coconut-flour-pizza-crust/

Hope this helps! I truly believe in this diet.. you gotta remember though, it's (roughly) a 70% FAT, 5% CARB, 25% PROTEIN diet! And the fiber always is negated toward daily carb count.
  • stepmark
    stepmark Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

First of heard of this...me thinks I'll look into it! Thanks for the info.!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!