So if your suppose to listen to your body.....

Options
.....do some rules go out the window?

For example, I always have breakfast. A habit instilled in me by my mother very earlier. Yet, there are some days, like the last two, when I wake not hungry for anything. This morning, I ate breakfast because I was hungry. So, I wondered if that dietary rule to "always eat breakfast" is really required if I'm not hungry or am I further throwing off my metobolic furnace.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I think always eat breakfast is, like, the cardinal rule, because it helps jump start your metabolism for the day. If you're not hungry, I recommend keeping a liquid alternative around like ensure or slim fast. At least you'll get your nutrients in :)
    I particularly like the chocolate ensure over any flavor of slim fast or boost.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    I think the "eat breakfast" rule is a keeper. For me, it helps keep away the cravings and endless pit feelings later in the day. But, if you don't want food, you could always have a big glass of milk, or some sort of protein shake.

But for some rules, I do think it just depends on your body and the day. Sometimes I have a hard time getting in 1200 calories and other days I have a hard time staying under 1480. If I'm out of calories, and starving, I just go over and eat the healthiest food I can or try to go for a short walk to earn a few more calories. I really think you just have to do what works for you long term. Even if you just couldn't eat in the morning ever, but the rest of your day was okay food-wise and your weight loss was good, I say more power to you for making it work.

Good luck on your journey!

-Alison
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a total calories person. So if you're not hungry, don't eat. With one caveat, if you know that two hours later a ravanous hunger will come upon you and at that point you're bound to over eat for that meal, I would go ahead and eat something.

I know that's the case with me. I can go a little while w/o breakfast, but when my body decides it wants something it's almost a painful hunger. So, I eat breakfast like normal.