Counting Fruit Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• spippin73
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are great, but regardless, they do contain calories that must be counted. Also, watch the sugar grams...they can add up. That's what I choose for a desert! Also, I love the benefits of the fiber they contain.
  • cbelt82
    cbelt82 Posts: 62
    Options
    This has always confused me too. Weight watchers counts Fruits and Veggies as 0 points because they found that people werent eating them because they didn't want to lose points. So confusing!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I second what Becky has said, what's difficult in counting fruit calories?

I have the same problem with fruit and veggies. I'm on weight watchers and they don't count fruits and veggies, so they encourage to eat as much as one wants. I'm finding however these extra fruits and veggies are slightly tipping my scale.
  • annachevlin1
    annachevlin1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    there is a web site called "calorie King" ... very easy to use... it gives you calories for everything ... including size of fruit ... like small , medium and large. and it has tools to measure the food , very much like weight watchers program
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Why cut the fruit from the meal rather than eat less of something that isn't so beneficial (id est, have a tangerine but have a quarter of a bagel instead of a whole)?
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    First I want to know what your motivation is behind not logging them? What is your thought process?
    And secondly, how much fruit are you eating??? IMO it has minimal calories, so adding them doesnt push me over the edge. Are there things you can take out of your eating routine and substitute for fruit.
    Everything in moderation.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I add them. I want to make sure I'm getting all my vitamins.

This. Fruit is good for you. I don't understand why so many people are scared to eat it. On average I eat about 3 to 4 servings a day.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Do what works for you. I set my calories lower than I need (1300) and don't count fruit and vegetables. This only works if you don't you don't go crazy and gorge on fruit but 2-3 portions works for me, anymore and I count it.

If you have less to lose it might not work as well but for me I know that apples didn't make me fat, it was the crisps and cookies and chocolate. I find it easier for me personally not to count fruit as it saves time tracking and I am more likely to grab a piece of fruit when I am hungry as I don't have to think about it and track it. It helps me make better choices
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Why wouldnt you? A calorie is a calorie despite where it came from. if your over on your calories you are going to gain weight. end of story.

This ^^

You should be logging everything. The only exception I can think of is negative calorie foods like celery.
    Noted :)

"negative calories" are a myth. The act of chewing does not negate the food you eat. I'd log everything, even if it has a very small amount of calories. This gives you an overall picture of intake, day to day, week to week.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    If you eat it...log it. Not logging it doesn't make the calories go away :) Fruit is a good healthy part of your diet and should be counted and included. I wouldn't feel bad at all about eating it!
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Why wouldnt you? A calorie is a calorie despite where it came from. if your over on your calories you are going to gain weight. end of story.

This ^^

You should be logging everything. The only exception I can think of is negative calorie foods like celery.

"negative calories" are a myth. The act of chewing does not negate the food you eat. I'd log everything, even if it has a very small amount of calories. This gives you an overall picture of intake, day to day, week to week.

I see your point but celery and things like lettuce and cucumber have such low calories I personally do not count them. Everyone's different but in the past I have been overly obsessed with counting and stressing every calorie. It works better now I worry less about these very low calorie things, they will not adversely affect my weight loss and it makes tracking easier for me.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

This ^^

I see your point but celery and things like lettuce and cucumber have such low calories I personally do not count them. Everyone's different but in the past I have been overly obsessed with counting and stressing every calorie. It works better now I worry less about these very low calorie things, they will not adversely affect my weight loss and it makes tracking easier for me.

Oh I am by no means knocking the way you do it! Do what works for you. I just didn't want OP thinking it was a generalization. I tend to have big salads worth 200-300 cals of veggies before adding meat, cheese, or dressing. For me, counting that makes sense. I would personally stress more if I didn't know how many calories (and grams of carbs) I was getting from fruits and veggies.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS log fruits and veggies for many reasons (the most obvious being because they do contain calories)

But my number one reason for logging them:

I try to get as many calories as possible each day from fruits and veggies. You'll find they do in fact fill you up.

Try to eat 100 calories of fruit/veggies then another time try to eat 100 calories of potato chips and see what satisfies you longer.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh also, if you log your fruits/veggies, then if you look back and see some really good days you can actually see what you ate.

If you ate a lot of fruits and veggies (plus other foods) and logged everything you could see exactly what you ate that day.
  • tammyr112
    Options
    there is a web site called "calorie King" ... very easy to use... it gives you calories for everything ... including size of fruit ... like small , medium and large. and it has tools to measure the food , very much like weight watchers program
    I use calorieking.com n love it! I found a lot of calorie counts in the MFP database are WAY off. I double check all my fruits veggies and take out food and weigh everything in grams so I can be as accurate as possible!
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don' t find that most fruit is a lot of calories any how. I wouldn't substitute it out for a cookie that is for sure. If anything I would eat the fruit and then go over eating the cookie if I had to have it because the fruit is good for you. Really, have you heard of anyone getting fat because they eat too much fruit.

Now, I'm sure it could happen but really is it fruit that we are all over eating?
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    I'd try to find somewhere else to drop the calories and keep the fruit. Like maybe instead of having 3/4 cup of granola, have half a cup and a big pile of fruit on that. More nutritious, just as filling, probably about the same in terms of calories.

I know what you mean though. I'm a little averse to bananas after finding out they are over 100 calories each, whereas a peach might be 40-50 calories. Wouldn't cut bananas out though, just maybe put half of one in my smoothie instead of the whole thing.