To all my ladies (or guys) who are obsessed with their hair

Options
13»

Replies

• softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Joico K-pak reconstruct conditioner. One bottle is 15 dollars BUT for it to do it's magic, I only use it twice a week, and use Dove cool moisture conditioner for the other days of the week. My hair is a dry frizz ball even when I don't wash it twice a day, and it has never felt silkier. Yummmmmy!
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Dove & Tresseme both make a really great dry shampoo, and it smells really good.
    I use it a lot after workouts (or on in between wash days - about every other day)
    I have really long (highlighted) hair, so I have to be really careful with overprocessing.
    You're not really supposed to wash your hair every day, anyway. More prone to damage.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    So I've been getting up every morning and working out before work and then again about an hour before bed. I can't go to work smelling like I just crawled out of the gym and I'm not going to climb into bed and sleep in my sweat (gross!!). I'm a little concerned on the possible damage I've been doing to my hair from shampooing and conditioning it twice a day. I have naturally straight LONG LONG hair (which also means I'm concerned about my wallet) that I can't manage with just water alone. Any suggestions.

I would check with your hairdresser and see if you are really doing anything damaging to your hair. And also ask what he or she might recommend. Get your hair trimmed as it needs it.

I either run and/or workout every day but Fridays (which is my designated rest day). I wash my hair sometimes twice a day because, for example, I might run first thing in the morning and then go to Tabata class that night. I also color my hair. I haven't noticed any problems with anything that I'm doing is causing any significant damage. I don't blow dry my hair though.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Just buy a hair mask treatment and do it once a month. I wash my hair 1- 2 times a day (have been forever) and it's still healthy.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how well it would work for long hair, but I've switched to the no-shampoo method: 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda dissolved in 1 cup water, applied every day or every other day; 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar in 1 coup of water, applied once a week for a conditioner. My hair was sort of gross for the first week or so after I stopped using shampoo, but now it's softer, smoother, shinier, and more manageable than it's ever been. I can also get away with just rinsing in between washes without it turning into the gross mess it used to.
  • sammiliegh
    sammiliegh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't wash your hair everytime you shower, just do a body wash..

coconut oil is a fabulous suggestion.

Also..when you shower, every other time use shampoo, then on the days you don't use shampoo, just use conditioner. The shampoo is what hurts your hair.
    And.. there is a shampoo (used normally for horses or pets, but it's for humans as well) it's called..Mane n' Tail shampoo.. that shampoo is really easy on your hair and helps it be more moisturized.
    And use leave in conditioner everytime you get your hair wet. there is this stuff called "it's a 10" and it's AMAZING. it's like 20 bucks for a bottle, but it makes your hair sooo healthy!

Before I started working out often I didn't wash my hair every day. Just have been since I've been since I'm usually soaked in sweat. By body wash you mean I can wash my hair with it?

I LOVE Mane n' Tail! Doesn't smell all that great but doesn't carry once I'm out of the shower and make my hair look amazing.

Thank you!!!

lol no no don't use body wash for your hair! I meant like, just wash your body in the shower, not your hair lol :P
    But you are welcome!!
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of the week wash it as usual, then put dry shampoo in it, 2 or 3 times a weeks wash it only conditioner... see if that helps.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Pull your hair up in a bun and don't get it wet during your showers. It will take some getting used to, but it's possible. Your hair should only be washed every other day. Doing it every day will damage your hair.

That's what I do, and use a shower cap. And I sweat too. I still don't wash it every day. I will, quite honestly, blow dry the roots after my workout on the days I don't wash it. May sound gross, but I promise you it doesn't smell bad. lol All in what you can deal with, I suppose. I didn't think I could *not* wash my hair every time I showered either, but I've been doing it this way for several years now.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You're not even supposed to wash your hair every day anyway, much less twice. You should consider getting your work-outs rolled into one, and then you'd only have to take one shower. Dry shampoo is an alternative if you think it needs to be washed a second time from the sweat. I would not continue washing my hair twice a day if I were you.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    In the same boat but my hair is curly.

When exercising put it up in a high pony tail or bun, try not to get sweat on the ends.
    Then take your shower wearing a shower cap
    When you are done with your shower take a blowdryer (or the hand dryer :smile: ) and try to dry out some of the "wetness/sweat" still in your hair next to your scalp.
    When your hair is mostly dry, gently brush it. Dont waste all those good oils you just sweat out. :sick:

the gross feeling takes a few days to get used to but its not that bad, and good for your hair.
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair once every 3 days, I shower everyday but just use conditioner (on the ends) so my hair doesnt dry out. Try it! It might take a little bit for your hair to get used to it but your hair will become less prone to greasyness. Good Luck!