Sagging Skin

Options
Is anyone having issues with excess skin after weight loss? I know I am losing fat but I don't see a lot of tone in my midsection. I feel like since I lost body fat, the skin is just sagging. I only have 20lbs of FAT to lose, currently at 181 lbs - Goal weight is 160lbs. I have been doing the 30 Day Shred, other cardio and strength moves as well. In my photo below, I was 187 lbs on Aug 2 (left). On the right, Aug 17, I was 181.5 lbs. I've lost 6" along my waist, 5" hips, etc,.

mmtszq.jpg

Love all the inches I lost but feeling anxious about skin. I know creams don't do much and drinking water is paramount. Would love to hear from anyone experiencing this! How do you stay motivated???

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I know it can be discouraging but it does get better with time. Give your body the time and the loose skin will get better.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The muscles of your core are still covered by a fairly thick layer of fat. That's why you don't see much tone and a lot of the reason why the skin sags as much as it does. The fat is weighing it down. Losing the fat may not completely fix the problem for you - at least not immediately - but your skin should draw up to the muscle and look a lot better than it does now. At least that's how it worked for me. The final 12 or so pounds I lost came almost entirely from my midsection and made a world of difference in how I look. I went from needing to wear a compression garment when I ran to keep my soft, squishy belly from flying off on its own to having almost no loose skin at all (other than my boobs :mad: and a little bit just above my navel) .
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I saw some great progress photos from a woman who lost roughly 150 pounds where heavy lifting really improved her sagging skin situation. Food for thought.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I recenty asked a Dr about losing the loose skin after dropping 105#. I didn't really like his answer. He said that it could take up to three years for the excess skin to go away. Getting older doesn't help, either. Not that I'm old, I'm just saying...
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump for help
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy! Cardio alone will not do it. Make sure your eating right, keeping with in your macros, getting plenty of protein, drinking LOTS of water, and lifting as heavy as you can.
  • Jambe
    Jambe Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you have insurance it most likely is covered if you lost 100+ lbs. Mine is. It's a "tummy tuck," but they don't remove any fat cells. You don't want them to do that, anyways. Otherwise it will not be covered.

It most likely will never be fully recovered, but it depends how long you have been overweight, and how much.

The amount of muscle required to "fill" the skin in that area is obscene. I already have a considerably amount, as well. I've managed to fill my arms and legs well enough, but the ab area would require far too much. I can see my abs/obliques and everything, I just have to tuck in the skin from the belly button down. It's very noticeable when doing pushups or bending over.

Be nice to let it sag a bit ;) Can''t wait. PLUS! Since it was detrimental to my health ( heat rash and skin irritation ) I get some paid time off work ;)
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 30 lbs to date. I was so concerned about the sagging skin but, earlier in my journey I read it was important to take a slow & steady approach to weight loss to minimize the profound sagging which meant setting weight loss of 0.5 to 1lbs per week. It has been taken me about ten months & it has not been so much a major issue. I drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water. I do both cardio & strength training. The amount of weight to lose is a major factor.