What should I keep track beside Calories on my Food Diary?

Options
2»

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I track carbs, fat, protein, sodium, and chol. I always wonder though if the levels MFP sets are the levels I should be at?
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I track Calories, Carbs, Protein, Sat Fat (because my cholesterol was running a little high and this is a contributor to it as well as this is a bad fat), Cholesterol (as stated before), and Sugar, since Sugar is usually high for me in the past and everything else runs fine. However, note with my sugar I don't count the natural sugar that is found in fruit. I basically am looking at where did I add sugar or what was added processed sugar.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I track Cals, carb, fat, protein, fibre and sodium. I was tracking calcium, to get an idea of how I was doing with that, and saw that I consistently get over the 100 mark daily, so I switched to tracking sodium (since there's a history of high blood pressure in my family). That was an eye-opener. I have to track fibre because I noticed I feel awful when I don't get enough.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I track fat, protein, sugar, carbs and potassium. I sweat a great deal doing my workouts (hot yoga and kettlebells), so i'm usually worried about potassium levels; therefore, I track it. My personal choice is to keep sugar very low, so I track that also. It just depends on what your preference is:)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Calories of course, Protein, Fat, Carbs, Fiber... I track sugar and potassium just for the hell of it.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating a lot of processed foods. You won't be getting a lot of sugar, fat or salt. And you will be getting most of your other nutrients on a proportional basis. MFP is weird with fiber and protein listings. They seem very low. The fruit sugar argument is going to come up here. Decide for yourself. I have 5 listed. I change them up often just because, that way I keep a rotating check on nutrients that might need correcting. 3500 mgs of salt is a teaspoon. 5 grams of sugar is a teaspoon. I've never seen another health that Gives you a daily allowable measure for sugar consumption.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I do calories, carbs, protein, fat, fiber, sodium
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I do cals, carbs, protein, fat, fibre and sugar.

Definitely track sugar!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple and track:

Calories
    Protein
    Carbs
    Fat

I drink 125 oz. of water a day and have never tracked a gram of sodium or sugar in my entire weightloss journey... Best of Luck...
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    These, plus fiber:
    Calories, Protein, Fat, Carbs, Sodium seems like a good set
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Protein, Carbs, Fat, Calories.

I would say that pretty much everyone should track the above. The rest would depend on individual needs.

These plus Fiber
  • kclifford77
    Options
    I do it for several reasons. First I think it was so surprising of how much I was eating...healthy food but still too much of it. also I was just diagnosed with diverticulitis and so I want to monitor what I eat to see what I was eating in case I have another episode. Finally it slows everything down. It makes me think about what I am about to eat and is it worth it or is it what I really want. I am much more conscience about what I am eating and why!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Btw, this has come up often this week and I've started paying more attention to labels. Most nutrition labels don't include potassium so that it isn't included in the MFP database for many foods.