Tempo Runs

Hi all!

I need some help. I've been working on my speed lately (in preparation for a 10K in September) and am following a training plan that includes tempo runs. I guess...I don't get them!

Can someone help explain this to me?

Thank you. :)

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Tempo runs are a sustained run at a higher pace than you would normally do, most of the time (for me at least) a little slower than your 10k race pace. The idea is that you are pushing your lactate threshold, but not sprinting. It should be difficult, but sustainable for at least 1-2 miles in the beginning. The idea is to make you able to run faster for a longer amount of time.

For instance, my 10k pace is about 7min miles (on a flat course with good weather). When I start training for a marathon, my first tempo run is a 1 mile warm up, 3 miles at about 7:10 min/mile (which is still a good 30 seconds slower than marathon pace), then a cool down. Over the course of training, I'll up it to 5 miles at 7 min/mile. My 'easy' pace is about 8:30/mile. In the beginning, just try to keep a higher pace for 10-15 minutes, and go from there. Hope this helps!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    The technical explanation is that tempo runs are run for 20 or more minutes at an effort just below your lactate threshold. The purpose is to improve the body's ability to shuttle lactate so that you can run continuously at a faster pace. It also builds mental toughness as the pace is hard.

The non-technical explanation is that it is a run of 20 minutes or longer at a pace that feels hard but sustainable. It is not a comfortable run. When you finish you should not be exhausted, but you should be happy to slow down. If you find yourself having to slow down durng the 20 minutes you are running it too fast.

Another explanation is that the pace should be one that you could race at for an hour. For many people this is around 10K race pace.

If you have a recent race that you ran all-out you can plug the time in here http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator and it will tell you what your tempo run pace should be.

Pace and time running is important. If you run it too easy you will not get the targeted training effect. If you run it too hard you will not be able to finish the 20 minutes.

If this is your first time doing them they may be daunting at first. An option to ease the transition is to run them as tempo intervals such as 4 x (5 min at tempo pace + 1 min easy). That still gives you the minimum of 20 minutes at the required intensity.
  • So a tempo run is a steady run for a certain distance for a certain time.

Like a 10k tempo run example would be something like this.
    Lets say your race time for a 10k is 1 hour or 60 min.

1. Go out and jog 5-10 minutes to warm up. (nice and slow pace)
    2. Then pick the distance you would want to run.
    a. Lets say your going to do a 10k tempo run.
    -Your gonna run that 10k at a 80% race pace then you would be shooting for a time of 72 minutes.
    b. I used to like to do 5k like this when I'm training for 10ks
    -Run the 5k at my 10k race pace. AKA I would run a 5k in 30 minutes
    3. Do a 5-10 minute cool down and stretch.

Does that make sense?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    So a tempo run is a steady run for a certain distance for a certain time.

Like a 10k tempo run example would be something like this.
    Lets say your race time for a 10k is 1 hour or 60 min.

1. Go out and jog 5-10 minutes to warm up. (nice and slow pace)
    2. Then pick the distance you would want to run.
    a. Lets say your going to do a 10k tempo run.
    -Your gonna run that 10k at a 80% race pace then you would be shooting for a time of 72 minutes.
    b. I used to like to do 5k like this when I'm training for 10ks
    -Run the 5k at my 10k race pace. AKA I would run a 5k in 30 minutes
    3. Do a 5-10 minute cool down and stretch.

Does that make sense?

While this sounds like an excellent workout, it's not a tempo run by definition. Scott hit the nail on the head with his explanation above, citing classic Daniels tempo, which is based on Lydiard principles, the principles upon which most modern running programs are based.

In your workout, your 10K pace is your tempo pace. As you don't want to run your race in the workout, doing 10K at 10K pace is definitely not advisable. Doing the 10K at 80% of 10K race pace just makes it an easy run on the faster side of easy. While this would be an excellent aerobic workout, it's not going to develop the ability to clear lactate as you aren't running at LT.
  • Thank you for the correction.
  • Thats a cool link scott. Thanks.
  • ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Thank you for the responses! It makes more sense now that you explain it.

So, if my 10K pace is approximately 11 mins/mile, and my training calls for a 45 minute tempo run, a decent tempo run could be 11:30 for that time?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member

So, if my 10K pace is approximately 11 mins/mile, and my training calls for a 45 minute tempo run, a decent tempo run could be 11:30 for that time?

Is that your 10K race pace or the pace at which you can run 10K in training?

Also, 45 minutes of tempo sounds like a awful long tempo for 10K training. A classic Daniels tempo run is 20 minutes.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member

According to McMillan the Tempo pace should be 10:43 to 11:04. If you are going for 45 min it might be 10 to 15 sec/mi slower.

edit - that assumes the 10K pace you quoted is your all out race pace.