Food Scale Question!

Options
Hi people,

I recently bought a food scale and it's SO great for accurately tracking my food! I use it to weigh whatever meat I'm having, chicken, fish, steak etc.

For example; 4oz of skinless, boneless chicken breast.

Anyways, my question is should I be doing precooked weight or should I weigh it after it's cooked?
I think you're supposed to do precooked weight but I'm not 100% sure.

What does everyone else do?

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Most things will give the calorie value for cooked and uncooked so depends what you're basing it on.

E.g. My pasta for lunch is 263 cals for 75g uncooked/170g cooked.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Most nutrition information tells you if you should measure by raw or cooked weight. If you look in the database for chicken you get two official entries:
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, raw
    And most packaged foods tell you precooked vs. cooked.
    I generally weigh before cooking because I can find more reliable information on raw food.
  • samarlove
    Options
    Honestly I have a food scale as well and have been using it since I started ... I usually do it before I cook it lol because I have read on a lot of forums that it is better to do so before because when cooked chicken will shrivel up and lose water ... I am interested to see what others will say!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
    And Samar...I'm not forgetting about you! I will get back to you about the equation soon :)