Opinions on exercise while fasting?

Options
I'm giving IF a try and was wondering if it is better to lift before breaking the fast or if I should schedule it for later when I've had a chance to eat?

I know that cardio requires carbs, especially if I plan on an hour or more in a single session, so I'll definitely do cardio after eating, but lifting seems like it could go either way.

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It can go either way although I would suggest at least drinking some bcaas or something if you lift fasted.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I don't currently use BCAAs aside from what I get naturally. Are they effectively absorbed without a protein carrier? I thought the two had to be consumed together to work.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I don't currently use BCAAs aside from what I get naturally. Are they effectively absorbed without a protein carrier? I thought the two had to be consumed together to work.

I haven't ever used them myself cause i don't train fasted, but bcaa's are just broken down protein so they get absorbed faster. You could just drink actual protein powder, but it would need to be farther in advance of training.
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ive been looking into this for so long and can never find a straight answer!

Today, I did green tea and 12.5 g egg protein w moderate cardio fro 45 min... i dont think i used up too much muscle- heres an interesting post i saw the other day:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=537268&page=1
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I try lifting on too empty of a stomach I start to feel sick so I always make sure to eat at least a little something before any workout.

And just food for thought - I'd be wary of doing IF as a woman. There have been some studies that show that it doesn't have the same effect on women that it does on men and that it can cause the opposite effect in weight goals, have a negative effect on a woman's metabolism in the long run, and may also effect a woman's cycle as well.

This article has some good info, as well as links to other sources about it as well: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/#axzz24Ku8jiT3 It's not an article directly against women fasting, it's just a straightforward look at it.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    LEANGAINS.COM--this will answer all of your questions.