Running and Back Fatigue?

Options
I have recently finished C25K and have continued to run. For the past week or so, I have noticed that my mid to upper back muscles (mostly on my left side) feel VERY fatigued by the time I finish my run and this lasts pretty much the rest of the day. My questions, I suppose, are: (1) is this normal? (2) Am I doing something wrong? and (3) How can I fix it? I think the answer may be that I have been slacking on my strength training while I have been focused on C25K and training for my first race (this Saturday) and that my abs need some work...does that sound right?

Thanks to all in advance for the advice!

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would say that it is not normal. You are probably holding yourself oddly or something. can you have someone watch you and see if you are leaning or anything?

never skimp on core - you use it so much in running :)
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    1) http://www.fitsugar.com/Advice-New-Runners-24543644
    I just love that website, so I hope any of their advice helps!
    2) Personally I suffer from a lot of neck pain, and a lot of that is due to my posture--just be certain your neck and shoulders are relaxed when you run. And maybe check your shoes? I hear good shoes are super-important, so I invested in some $80 New Balances that aren't too bad.
    3) Working your abs is great, but if you're not working your core all the way around, you'll develop weak spots. Planks are supposed to be great for your whole core, and I'm sure if you google back exercises you'll find some good ideas.

Best of luck on your 5K!
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I will make hubby watch me run and give me some feedback on whether I am leaning one way or the other. Might it be from running the same path, all with right hand turns? I could run it in reverse, I suppose. I had been running on the treadmill since my son was home with me and it had been so hot. He has been in kindergarten for a little over a week now, so I started hitting the trail around our local park.

I am sure my core could use some work, so I will have to start fitting that in. I HATE planks, but I know...they are super good at toning things up. Just difficult to do at a high weight. But then again, I think I have lost about 30 or so pounds since I last tried them...maybe they will be easier now.

I have a good pair of Brooks that I was fitted for a few months ago. How can you tell when you need a new pair? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question.

I will definitely be checking out that website! Thanks guys!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    my shoes normally last about 300 miles or so. I do keep track of my miles on them though and I would recommend you do the same. I normally feel the need for new shoes in my knees. Everyone is different.

and yes, the turns could totally be it. If i run on a track for a longer period of time, my right leg hurts because of the turns.