How To Burn Abdominal Fat

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Article suggestion: If you think it, it'll happen.
    Think about how strong you are while you're working out and you will get stonger. Think about how much weight your losing while exercising and you will lose more weight. Think about eating healthy and you will eat more healthfully.
    TL;DR: If you keep telling yourself "this workout is gonna make me look hawt" that workout will make you look hawt.

*sigh*
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    When told their work burnt calories and contributed to exercise, I am pretty sure many of the maids began working harder for that extra burn. There are thousands of ways to go about cleaning to cut corners or spend less energy.

I agree with this. Education made them work harder knowing the harder they worked the more they'd burn. It is a mind trick but at the same time it's just simply being educated.

Works with going to the gym too. If you let it slip your mind what the gym is doing for you, you tend to kinda slack off, cut corners, not finish that set or get off the treadmill 5 minutes early etc.

When you're there, actively thinking "I am improving with each rep, each step..." you really do push yourself.

After a while at the gym, it's easy to get the mindset of "I just gotta do these 3 sets and I am done" as opposed to a pro-active one.
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Great article.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

The study was conducted for 4 weeks. The researchers made sure that none of the participants had actually changed their exercise habits, smoking, or eating habits outside of work.

This assured that there was no external lifestyle factor that could have accounted for the results of the study.

How did they do this exactly?

I'm wondering if the people in the group that were told about the benefits and given details may have altered their life style, being more health conscious.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Very interesting.

Personally, I believe that if I "believe" I can do something, I actually can!

And, my experience is that people with a positive attitude get positive results.

So, I do not doubt these conclusions at all.

Thanks for the post.

If you believe you can do anything, you can? OK, I'll go with it.

But it's not the believing that allows you to do it, it's the doing/trying.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options

The study was conducted for 4 weeks. The researchers made sure that none of the participants had actually changed their exercise habits, smoking, or eating habits outside of work.

This assured that there was no external lifestyle factor that could have accounted for the results of the study.

How did they do this exactly?

I'm wondering if the people in the group that were told about the benefits and given details may have altered their life style, being more health conscious.

Yeah. VERY scientific, don't you know? They SAY they made no other changes. Let's take their word for it and make big assumptions.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Good article
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    any cliff notes?

Article suggestion: If you think it, it'll happen.

Reality: Working harder will burn more calories.

If you think it will happen, you will do things to make it happen. It's not just one or the other.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    meh.
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Woah awesome read =]
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    " You burn it with gasoline and matches , DUH!"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    This from the actual study:
    Of course, it is possible that the room attendants actually did
    change their behavior—actually did cut back on calories, improve
    the quality of the food they ate, or work harder or more
    energetically—but did not report such changes.

While I do believe in placebo effect, I would question still how accurate the actual following of dietary, activity, perceived exertion, etc. if it was done solely on a questionaire. That's not to say that I don't believe that the mind isn't a direct factor on achieving results, but another study with more stringent procedure of verification should follow up this one to confirm it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    " You burn it with gasoline and matches , DUH!"

:laugh: :smooched:
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    This from the actual study:

Of course, it is possible that the room attendants actually did
    change their behavior—actually did cut back on calories, improve
    the quality of the food they ate, or work harder or more
    energetically—but did not report such changes.

While I do believe in placebo effect, I would question still how accurate the actual following of dietary, activity, perceived exertion, etc. if it was done solely on a questionaire. That's not to say that I don't believe that the mind isn't a direct factor on achieving results, but another study with more stringent procedure of verification should follow up this one to confirm it.

Ditto.

And I'm not simply trying to be skeptical for its own sake, but there is a gaping hole in the observations and we would be remiss not to scrutinize it.

A follow up may actually validate these findings or may reveal that if you tell a person that they are on the right track that they may put in a little extra effort to make things happen.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I need someone to tell me there's a study proving you burn enormous amounts of body fat in your sleep. :wink:

For the record...that's actually when a significant amount of the bodyfat you burn...is burned lol.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

HAH!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Coming back to read this later.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I need someone to tell me there's a study proving you burn enormous amounts of body fat in your sleep. :wink:

For the record...that's actually when a significant amount of the bodyfat you burn...is burned lol.
    TRU DAT. Most people on here don't even know this. They think they burn more fat when then exercise and hour.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's a good reminder to not just go through the motions. Do it mindfully, put everything you got into it! Be positive and believe you are making a difference in your physical and mental well-being! There is certainly nothing wrong with that!!