My appointment with the Nutritionist

Options

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Q: Do you recommend eating exercise calories?
    A: No. We recommend you aim to eat the same amount each day. So if you start eating your exercise calories your body might adjust to the higher calorie intakes. Plus you might not see as many pounds lost.

I would almost guarantee that she didn't answer question knowing you track your calories with a 500 or 1000 calorie deficit planned in.

I would answer no if someone outside of MFP was interested in weight loss and asked if they needed to eat back calories burned during excercise.

Actually she did know. I showed her my MFP plan and told her what I eat each day and what my deficit was.

I'm not surprised she knows, she's using terms and beliefs that are only held on MFP, and no dietician would ever say.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Like, it's ridiculous to tell someone you MUST workout for an hour a day, six days a week. That is a flat-out lie.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    still,,,everyone opinion is interesting ...even if we dont agree with them :) thank you for sharing what she had to say!

Yup! Very true, you gotta find what works for YOU and everyone hits a plateu, also, then you switch it up!! =) But, that's my opinion.
    Thanks for sharing! I probably won't follow this, and probably not most of the people on here. Good to know different views.

it is good to hear different views and I found it interesting....hell i just started figuring out well trying to and its always good to get ideas to try if what you are doing doesnt work so we share the same opinion lol :) everyone is real quick to hang someone on MFP if it doesnt jive with what they "know" ...I just find it funny cuz I thought we were all on here for the same thing....help and bouncing ideas off of each other ...to feel better about ourselves and helping others to feel good about themselves too.... :)
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Did you see a "nutritionist" or a registered dietitian?

There's absolutely, positively, no way a dietician wrote those replies.

Why do you say that?
  • nowakkk
    nowakkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    They really said that the body could survive on say a net of 500 calories? For example, you ate 1,200 and burned 700 with excercise? That's somewhat frightening to me.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I think it all sounds very reasonable to me. Maybe the people saying she is a moron are actually morons themselves.

Hey now, I'm not a doctor but I play one on MFP. And a dietitian, and a personal trainer, and a sports injury expert. I read a couple books and webpages and I KNOW I'm right. Now back in the corner with you troll. How dare you question my wisdom.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options

Yeah that's what I thought too lol but I just wanted to clarify.

My insurance covered it because it was with a registered dietitian at the hospital. So she's legit.

Curious as to what made you say she wasn't. Not trying to start trouble just a friendly conversation : )

I'm in school to be a dietitian and I've observed a number of different dietitians counseling clients. I've just never heard RDs give advice like that, and I probably would have answered all those questions very differently.

Just curious, how would you have answered them?
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    So how would you have answered them?

I'm only a student but if I were meeting with a client in my supervised practice, this is how I would have addressed the questions.

Q: Is starvation mode real and at what point does it kick in?
    A: "Starvation mode" is how the body responds to prolonged periods of reduced caloric intake. True physiological starvation (demonstrated in the Minnesota starvation study, look this up for more info) may be seen during famines for example, or other times of several restricted caloric intake. The body isn't getting the energy or nutrients it needs, and in addition to using it's own fat for energy, the body will start to break down lean body mass as well. It does NOT "kick in" at 1200 calories

Q: Does this apply the same way if I don't NET 1200 calories.
    A: Yes. If you eat 1200 calories but then you burn 1200 calories through exercise, you are not providing your body adequate energy to maintain all the other vital functions.

A: It depends upon how you've calculated your calorie needs. If you determined needs based on a sedentary activity level, yes, eat those back. If you set your goal based upon a higher activity level, no, don't eat them back, because that activity is already accounted for in your calorie allotment.

Q: What if I'm really hungry after a hard workout?
    A: Eat! Choose a snack that provides both carbs and protein.

Q: Do you promote calorie cycling?
    A: I don't promote it but I don't have a problem with it. It can help some people break through a plateau.

Q: Well, I've noticed that when I do calorie cycling I lose more that week.
    A: I'm glad you've found something that works for you.

Q: Why am I more hungry some days than others?
    A: Day to day changes in the body. I do mostly agree with what your nutritionist said on this question.

Q: What is your opinion on juicing?
    A: It's a good way to get a lot of nutrients, but it doesn't have the benefit of fiber that you get from eating whole fruits and vegetables.

Q: What is the recommended weight loss rate?
    A: In general I'd say 1 lb a week. For someone who is very obese, it can be more. For someone who is very close to their goal weight I'd only aim for 0.5 lb a week.

Q: How much exercise is enough?
    A: General recommendations are 30 minutes a day, five days a week. But it is very dependent upon your own personal goals. Whether you're trying to lose weight, build muscle, etc. The type of exercise factors is too. 30 minutes of running is gonna be different than 30 minutes of walking. Or 30 minutes of yoga.

Q: I'm kinda all over the place with exercise. Haven't found anything I love so I mix it up. Is this ok?
    A: That's fine. I am glad to hear you're doing strength training. Just be sure you are doing a strength training routine written by a professional, at this point in your fitness journey. Order and type of exercises is important. Going into the weight room and just doing whatever you feel like isn't going to be quite as beneficial.

Let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything and I'd be happy to.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

A: Net calories mean nothing. If you eat your recommend calorie intake for the day then exercise off a good portion, your body still got those calories. Your body still got the nutrients. Don't pay attention to net calories.

A: No. We recommend you aim to eat the same amount each day. So if you start eating your exercise calories your body might adjust to the higher calorie intakes. Plus you might not see as many pounds lost.

A: To lose weight without a calorie deficit then you must workout 1 hour 6 days a week. So you must find a balance between a calorie deficit and exercise.

I am going to quote these because I think she made these specific to you, if you have alot to lose I think she was trying to get you into a habit of eating the same amount of calories and exercising daily to get into the rhythm of weight loss and healthy eating.
  • nowakkk
    nowakkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oak Creek, WI represent
  • andersol4
    andersol4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Brooke - I originally started by weight loss journey a few years at 240 lbs and lost about 70 pounds. I had regular visits with registered professional dieticians and never once did they tell me to eat back my exercise calories or calculate net calories. Its different for each person, but I started out on a 1400 calorie per day limit (not eating back calories). Once I hit that marker, I was done with food for the day. Honestly, with eating clean with veggies, fruits, lean proteins, and low carbs, 1400 is a lot and sometimes I struggle to get up that high. It is important to note that its not all about the number of calories you consume...it has a lot to do with what foods make up those calories. Extra exercise calories burned will only help you. if you cut 500 calories per day from your diet, hypothetically you will loose 1 lb per week (3500 calories). Any exercise calories add to that deficit. That being said, if you are exercising quite a bit and find yourself lacking energy, by all means pump up your calorie intake by 100 calories and see if that works better for you.
  • andersol4
    andersol4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A: Net calories mean nothing. If you eat your recommend calorie intake for the day then exercise off a good portion, your body still got those calories. Your body still got the nutrients. Don't pay attention to net calories.

As a newbie, I am now extra confused, wahh :'( - I just barely figured out what net calories are and how they work! (I know, I'm slow, ha ha). So now I am thinking maybe I shouldn't be eating them back? Maybe I need to experiment more..hmmm
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

They sound like pretty standard dietician replies to me. They are not the answers I'd expect from a sports nutritionist, but from a medical dietician they sound about right.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options

They sound like pretty standard dietician replies to me. They are not the answers I'd expect from a sports nutritionist, but from a medical dietician they sound about right.

What makes you say that?
  • jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So how would you have answered them?

I'm only a student but if I were meeting with a client in my supervised practice, this is how I would have addressed the questions.

Q: Is starvation mode real and at what point does it kick in?
    A: "Starvation mode" is how the body responds to prolonged periods of reduced caloric intake. True physiological starvation (demonstrated in the Minnesota starvation study, look this up for more info) may be seen during famines for example, or other times of several restricted caloric intake. The body isn't getting the energy or nutrients it needs, and in addition to using it's own fat for energy, the body will start to break down lean body mass as well. It does NOT "kick in" at 1200 calories

A: Yes. If you eat 1200 calories but then you burn 1200 calories through exercise, you are not providing your body adequate energy to maintain all the other vital functions.

A: It depends upon how you've calculated your calorie needs. If you determined needs based on a sedentary activity level, yes, eat those back. If you set your goal based upon a higher activity level, no, don't eat them back, because that activity is already accounted for in your calorie allotment.

Q: What if I'm really hungry after a hard workout?
    A: Eat! Choose a snack that provides both carbs and protein.

Q: Do you promote calorie cycling?
    A: I don't promote it but I don't have a problem with it. It can help some people break through a plateau.

Q: Well, I've noticed that when I do calorie cycling I lose more that week.
    A: I'm glad you've found something that works for you.

Q: Why am I more hungry some days than others?
    A: Day to day changes in the body. I do mostly agree with what your nutritionist said on this question.

Q: What is your opinion on juicing?
    A: It's a good way to get a lot of nutrients, but it doesn't have the benefit of fiber that you get from eating whole fruits and vegetables.

Q: What is the recommended weight loss rate?
    A: In general I'd say 1 lb a week. For someone who is very obese, it can be more. For someone who is very close to their goal weight I'd only aim for 0.5 lb a week.

A: General recommendations are 30 minutes a day, five days a week. But it is very dependent upon your own personal goals. Whether you're trying to lose weight, build muscle, etc. The type of exercise factors is too. 30 minutes of running is gonna be different than 30 minutes of walking. Or 30 minutes of yoga.

Q: I'm kinda all over the place with exercise. Haven't found anything I love so I mix it up. Is this ok?
    A: That's fine. I am glad to hear you're doing strength training. Just be sure you are doing a strength training routine written by a professional, at this point in your fitness journey. Order and type of exercises is important. Going into the weight room and just doing whatever you feel like isn't going to be quite as beneficial.

Let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything and I'd be happy to.

This was very interesting to read. Thanks so the reply.

As far as strength training I met with a personal trainer and we created a plan based on my needs and injury history. : )
  • lifescircle
    Options
    I think it all sounds very reasonable to me. Maybe the people saying she is a moron are actually morons themselves.

Hey now, I'm not a doctor but I play one on MFP. And a dietitian, and a personal trainer, and a sports injury expert. I read a couple books and webpages and I KNOW I'm right. Now back in the corner with you troll. How dare you question my wisdom.

Yep.

I got credentials.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    This was very interesting to read. Thanks so the reply.

As far as strength training I met with a personal trainer and we created a plan based on my needs and injury history. : )

Oh great! I am glad to hear that. Working with someone who knows what they're doing is especially important if you've been injured in the past.
  • jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    They really said that the body could survive on say a net of 500 calories? For example, you ate 1,200 and burned 700 with excercise? That's somewhat frightening to me.

That's what I thought also. That's what prompted me to ask her. I eat 1700 calories. Some days I burn 1000 in exercise. So I net 700. I think I will just listen to my body on this one. If I'm hungry I'll eat a little more. Not the full 1000 since MFP over exaggerates calories burned.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Even experts (like say the FDA, USDA) tell people information that THEY think the individual needs to hear to better themselves.

Nobody really wants the truth, because no one wants to admit how truly incompetent our available knowledge base is on mosts subjects.

So very, very true!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

What makes you say that?

I work in healthcare and until she switched her focus, my daughter was studying to be one so she has a lot of friends who are now registered dieticians. Plus, I'm just really interested in nutrition (from a health perspective more than body composition). So I've talked to quite a few and read more than a few articles by them.