Starting Chalean Extreme and have Questions...

Options
I am starting Chalean extreme in a week or so when i get it, and am going to use dumbells. What weights do you start at and how often should I up the weights as i go? And any tips/hints anyone wants to give me for the program? I won't have the guide book so if anyone has a link for a pdf version i would like to take a look at least...

i am already getting fit, just finished Insanity the last 2 months, and will totally do it again cause i loved it. I am maintaining my weight at 144 tho i wanted a lower number, the size i am is smaller then i have ever been. I am trying to lower my body fat, so that there is more definition and abs if i can get them!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    No one???
  • Kandyhar
    Kandyhar Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump... I was wondering the same thing!
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am starting Chalean extreme in a week or so when i get it, and am going to use dumbells. What weights do you start at and how often should I up the weights as i go? And any tips/hints anyone wants to give me for the program? I won't have the guide book so if anyone has a link for a pdf version i would like to take a look at least...

i am already getting fit, just finished Insanity the last 2 months, and will totally do it again cause i loved it. I am maintaining my weight at 144 tho i wanted a lower number, the size i am is smaller then i have ever been. I am trying to lower my body fat, so that there is more definition and abs if i can get them!

Thanks in advance!

I just sent you an email. I got a little red flag warning when I went to post all the info I was going to give you here about ADS and B each body coaching links. I am not a B each body coach but I get what they're (MFP) are saying.
  • kat_renee
    kat_renee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am going to be starting CX on September 3. I use 5-10 pd weights. Feel free to friend me if you want a workout buddy. :) We can keep each other accountable.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The amount of weight used is subjective depending on your fitness level. For phase 1 a set of dumbbells going up to 25 lbs will be sufficient, but for phase 2 you will need much heavier. If all you have is a pair of 5-10 lb weights you will need to invest in more. Even the weakest girl on the video, the modifier, uses heavier for many exercises.

EDIT: Be glad you're not a guy. As a guy (or strong woman) you would need close to 50 lbs.
  • kat_renee
    kat_renee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Also, as far as when to start "lifting" heavier, she guides you all through the workouts and explains when you need to either lift heavier or if your lifting too heavy.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Also, as far as when to start "lifting" heavier, she guides you all through the workouts and explains when you need to either lift heavier or if your lifting too heavy.

This is true, but it is important to note that she stresses throughout the program that the point of it is to reach muscle failure, meaning you can not possibly do anymore, by 12 reps. (phase 1) and 6-8 reps (phase 2). Even if you're a weak beginner, this is going to take more than 5-10 lbs for the exercises that focus on the larger muscle groups of the body (lower body, back, chest)
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I have two dumbells, and have numerous 10lb plates and 5lb plates, so I can start at 10, then to 15 and 20 and so on as I need to. I plan on going as heavy as I can as I want definition and strength from this program. I loved insanity and its results, but know I need to have heavy weights in my day to day as I am not a petite build and know I can lift.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Hey,
    I don't have any advice to offer, but it sounds like we're following a similar workout plan. I'm just finishing up my last couple of weeks of Insanity (final day is Sept. 2nd or something) and then I'd like to start Chalean Extreme.
    Friend me if you'd like another supporter! Also I'd love a heads up about your progress and what weights you decided on using. :) I'll probably use resistance bands for many of the exercises, as they're cheaper to buy and smaller to store in the house.

Good luck!
    krnl
  • michellemontes
    Options
    I have done Chalean Extreme and you can start really light your first day, but test yourself. Go heavier if you can, as Chalene says, "Go Heavy, or Go Home!" Phase1 you have to do I think 12 reps of each weight, so if you feel you can do more at the end, then it's time to go up in weight. Chalean uses these selectable weights which is probably crucial at home. I was lucky enough to have the gym to myself each morning at work so I had the full range of weights, 3lbs - 35lbs (which was my highest doing squats). She also uses the bands which I have found difficult. But I say give it a go. Picking Chalean is a great way to go, she's quarky & motivating. She also has a bonus video on their that is Turbo Jam, Chalene makes me laugh everytime I do that workout.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I am gonna start with 15s and see how that feels, and if its just a bit too much, i will go 10s... I need to get 2.5 lb plates so i have a middle of that if i need it.. Anyone that wants to friend me on this, go for it, just make sure there is a note with it to tell me who you are a little bit!
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've completed the strength training portion of CX and for the first round, I used 5 lbs, 8lbs, 10lbs, and 15lbs. The most I used were the 8lbs and the 15lbs for lower body. When I moved into phase 2 I had to get 12 lbs, and I think 20lbs weights, but for phase 3 the sets are complex so I didn't need anything higher than what I already had.
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Also, have fun! It is my favourite work out and I don't find Chalean annoying more motivating than anything.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    SWEET! I am more and more excited to start this, and waiting on the dvds is killing me! my sis in law is getting them and making herself a copy then sending to me, so i won't get it till next week at the earliest even.

I was checking out the guidebook and i may start at 10 but think that i am moderately fit and should be able to pull the 15s!
  • lkarinal
    lkarinal Posts: 107
    Options
    Totally agree what everyone has been saying in this thread, just a quick tip that I don't think anybody has mentioned yet. Go to BB website and download the workout sheets for free. This, in my opinion, is an important tool to keep track of the weights you have been using every week, also you can make notes whether you feel you can go heavier or not in your upcoming w/os.

Happy Burning and it's time to get extreme...... ")
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I have all the worksheets, and calendars and the guidebook. I am just anxiously awaiting my dvds to get started!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    In Phase 1, I used between 8 and 20 pounds. For Phase 2, I used between 15 and 30 pounds. I loved it. However, I ended up with a shoulder issue by the end of Phase 2, so I didn't make it to Phase 3.

Just be careful of your form.
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to do another CLX rotation. So far its my all time favorite program. I just finished my first round a few weeks ago.

I'm a beachbody nut, so right now we are doing Slim in 6-

I find Chalene really fun and motivating. She tries a little too hard to be 'hip' I think, but the overall energy is great. Have fun!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to do another CLX rotation. So far its my all time favorite program. I just finished my first round a few weeks ago.

I'm a beachbody nut, so right now we are doing Slim in 6-

I find Chalene really fun and motivating. She tries a little too hard to be 'hip' I think, but the overall energy is great. Have fun!

I'm a BB nut too. My first BB workou was Slim in 6. I was really successful with it, but didn't really enjoy doing it. However, I do like the Slim Series a lot.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Chalene Johnson IS hip lol. The only thing that bugs me about her is her pushing all of her business idea and conventions on people. Money making conventions. She's a badass otherwise. Have you ever been to one of her Camp Do More events? Those are awesome. She IS totally hip. I like her a lot.. when she isn't talking dollars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHCfu34coLE