I have to share!

Options
mel_2812
mel_2812 Posts: 66 Member
When I get a moment of discouragement (like today), I like to remind myself WHY I need to do this change in my life...

OK, let's go back in time...February 2010:
I was weighing near to 200 lbs for my 5'3'' height.
We were trying to conceive for almost 3 years, when I decided to consult a doctor. After many tests and medical exams, I was told I had the PCOS and needed treatments to conceive. I was also told that I was borderline diabetic and needed to take some medecine to help and reduce my sugar levels. So I was taking Metformin to regularize my sugar levels and Clomid to ovulate. Thank God I didn't need insulin....I also was told that my blood pressure was too high (but that was always the case, as far as I can remember, even when I was at a healthy weight of 125 pounds...awww genetics!) - but not enough high to take medicine.

July 2010, still at almost 200 lbs:
My boyfriend decided to leave. I didn't eat for 2 weeks, was depressed, blablabla. I had lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks due to the fact that I couldn't barely eat anything. I had stopped to take both Clomid and Metformin. From there, I decided to take care of myself.
From July 2010 to September 2010, I lost around 25 pounds, only by changing my eating habits. I was down to 175 lbs and decided to go to the gym. I was there 3 times a week for an hour an a half each session. From Sept. 2010 to Feb 2011, I went from 175 lbs to 151 lbs. And I then met my current boyfriend....and since then, I have accumulated the weight...

Three weeks ago, I saw 178 lbs on the scale..This number was a red flag for me and I have decided to continue my weight loss journey. I've been using MFP for 3 consecutive weeks now, very proud of my food choice so far, and I love the tool very much. Seven days ago, I was down to 174.4 lbs...I was so happy until this morning...hence all my efforts to reduce my weight, as of this morning, I was back up to 176 lbs.

I've been going to my doctor a lot recently to monitor my blood pressure...still borderline...she decided to do blood draws to evaluate all kinds of things. I went to see my doctor few days ago for the results and she said ''everything looks fine to me''. I responded ''What about my sugar levels...am I diabetic?'' She looks back in her paper, looks back at me and say ''Your sugar and cholesterol levels are perfect...why are you wondering about diabetes?''

After seeing 176 lbs this morning and being kind of discouraged seeing that my efforts don't give the expected results I would of liked to see, I reminded myself that this is why I am still fighting to chose healthy foods and be more active...to be healthy.

Replies

• alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're doing a great job so far! Don't be discouraged if you gain back a few pounds here and there. It has happened to me plenty of times. The key is to not stress over it or give up. Just keep doing what you're doing. My problems were weekends. At the end of a week of eating healthy I would be down and lb or 2. After the weekend, I "magically" gained them back b/c I wasn't as careful with what I ate. However, once I got back on track on Monday and made sure my diet was back to normal, I would notice those lbs drop back off pretty quickly. I did this yo-yoing with my weight for weeks. I started to buckle down more recently and I've noticed progress.

The point is to stay positive! Sometimes my weekend weight gain had to do with not drinking enough water and all I had to do was drink my normal 1.5-2 liters per day and that water weight fell right back off.

You can do this! Just stay on track! Fight through it. The biggest help for me has been looking at the success stories people post up every day on MFP...it's a HUGE motivator and keeps me away from the donuts my co-workers just LOVE to bring in everyday :tongue:

Good luck!
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    Keep in mind that water can be the problem. Also, depending on your exercise routine, muscle building will add weight. I find that measuring (arms, thighs, waist, hips) is a better way to gauge how I am doing because my weight fluctuates so much from day to day (or even morning to evening of the same day :D)
    Keep up the good work!
  • margaretrican
    margaretrican Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that around the time you are about to get your period you gain weight. I do about 6 lbs or less and it always freaks me out but once my period is over I am back down to where I was or even lower. Always keep that in mind and dont get discouraged keep going! :heart:
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Aloha,
    When I started this journey, I had no idea how to go about losing weight the correct way, without hurting myself and without being hungry all the time. I found out from all the knowledgeable folks here on MFP that neither situation has to occur if you are losing the weight the proper way. I read the newbie posts on the forums a couple of times and ended up here:
    IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12, read the instructions. Dan lays everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.
    Then I acquired some spreadsheets from JamaicaLady that helped out and confirmed that I was indeed losing lean muscle along with weight. Now I know how to do this thing without losing muscle mass. In this folder are some more tools to help you track and keep things in perspective and some motivational backgrounds and the like. Good Luck!

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit

Please feel free to download, copy and SHARE anything in the folder. I believe in “Paying it Forward” as HelloItsDan says….

If you have any difficulty with the spreadsheets let me know and I will give you a hand!
    My email is: mikeschratz@gmail.com
  • tumblingtumbleweed
    tumblingtumbleweed Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In the same boat! It's so hard to stay focused when the scale keeps going up and down. I know when I fall off my calorie counting I get bummed and throw in the towel. Then when I get motivated again I have to start back at square one. :(

I think it has finally hit me at 36 that I need a lifestyle change instead of counting every calorie and going cardio crazy for four months until I get burnt out. I'm finally starting to see understand the importance of weight training and weight loss. I just ordered New Rules of Lifting for Women, hoping this will be something that gets me hooked on a lifestyle change!!!

Just stick to it, keep trying new things, and when you fall pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going. NO NEGATIVE INNER DIALOGUE!!!
  • ruthiestamos
    ruthiestamos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You are doing everything right just remember that all the small changes will compound into big results we just need to keep at it. we need to remind our bodies who is in charge and get over those bumps that happen and will continue to happen. just by reaching out to the message boards today is showing that you are making those small changes for yourself. and if all else fails go to the grocery store and pick up a 25lb of potatoes to put all you have done so far in to perspective. ;o)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!