congestion after fast food

Options
I haven't had any fast food since I started my new eating plan in early July, but I was just thinking today about how I used to get chest congestion after eating fast food.

Does anyone else get that? It used to happen to me every single time. If I ordered a burger and fries, or chicken sandwich and fries, within a few minutes of finishing the meal I had a loose congestive cough for about an hour afterwards. I'm not sure if it was the sandwich or fries causing it, because I usually got both.

I googled "fast food" and "congestion", but only found articles on the traffic congestion caused by fast food restaurants!

No other food ever caused that, and I only ever got it from fast food meals (McD, BK, etc). Any guesses about what caused it?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would guess some kind of allergy. My mom had congestion constantly for a long time. She was diagnosed with asthma but the meds didn't help. Turns out she was allergic to dairy, which she ate on a daily basis. Her congestion/cough went away once she cut out dairy (much to her dismay LOL...she loved dairy).
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I would guess allergy too....I wonder if they both used the same companies for the meat or the oil?? Or what about breads?? hmmm curious now lol let me know if you find out :)
    I know I always noticed that my heart felt heavy and sluggish and more pressure along my caortid arteries but idk phychosymatic prehaps lol?
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The strange thing is that if it was a food allergy, you would think I would experience the same congestion at other times from other restaurants. But, I ONLY EVER got it with fast food.

There's clearly something unique in that food that I was reacting to, but what?? Not dairy, because I do eat plenty of cheese and cream without problems, although if I drink a big glass of ultra-pasteurized milk I will have stomach issues. But this fast food thing is more like asthma (although I've never suffered from real asthma, so I'm guessing).

Here's one more thought... If it's been a while since I've jogged or done steady cardio, I get "exercise-induced asthma" - the same kind of congestion for about a day after that first run, but within a day it goes away. Maybe completely unrelated, but I wonder.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I've never had chest congestion but if I eat TOO much sugar, my nose gets congested.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've had this issues as well, and it turned out to be acid re-flux. For me, an over the counter antacid prevents it.
  • sandiegosummer
    Options
    I get really cough-y and phlegm-y after I eat a lot of fried food.

But it's def not an allergy maybe fried food makes you produce more mucus to digest it....???
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I would get that too, the chest congestion cough right after eating at McD's. I was able to isolate it down to the french fries. If I just get a burger or a salad there, no problem. But if I get even a small order of fries, then I get the cough! No idea why.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Milk, wheat, and nuts, are the most common to cause congestion...but if only fast food triggers it, I would guess it's something in the oil...
  • 14Red4
    14Red4 Posts: 1
    Options
    When I eat fast food I get the same problem I went googling
    Why and I seen your post ... Very strange !!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I used to get that, too. The food is toxic, so your body reacts by creating mucus.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I used to get that, too. The food is toxic, so your body reacts by creating mucus.

thanks rocbola, I just found out why I get mucus buildup when I read your posts
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Huh.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I get phlegmy after eating sometimes regardless of the food source. Is all food toxic?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I used to think that way too*. Then I got a f****** clue and my body reacted by making me haz a smart.

* Not actually.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

I get phlegmy after eating sometimes regardless of the food source. Is all food toxic?

Stop eating.

It's the only way.
  • wheird
    Options

Stop eating.

It's the only way.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Stop eating.

It's the only way.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Unfortunately the toxins have built up after decades of eating. Detoxing yourself from food is the only way.

Only.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

No, but you likely are.
  • wheird
    Options

No, but you likely are.

Define toxic.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

No, but you likely are.

OohBurn.gif