Is allowing for weight gain as we age a cop out???

Options
Okay my doctor told me that getting down to 123 ( a weight I maintained for most my adult life and in between all my pregnancies) was too low for me. She said she would like me to get between 130-140, and no lower. She used the AGE issue( she did also say my muscle tone and build), I just turned 50! I sort of feel like we make excuses for ourselves to carry a few extra pounds because we are getting older! Love other thoughts on this issue!

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Well in the aging process, the body tends to lose some of its mass. As we grow older, especially for the elderly population, a low body weight can be risky. At age 50 though.. there is no reason why you need to gain 10-15 lbs if it's always been a healthy weight for you. If you're not doing any strength training, I would highly recommend incorporating that into your routine. But beyond that I wouldn't worry about it.
  • kmodrak
    kmodrak Posts: 13
    Options
    how tall are you? I
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would love to see the reference the physician can cite for this opinion. Age and weight gain are correlated - but is indicative of little. Yes, hormones change, muscle mass can change if you do not use it, etc. - but this just means that if you want to be fit you may have to work at it more than the younger you... There are plenty of much older people who are more fit than me. And I am much more fit than many who are younger than me...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I agree with Peachy. It is good to be a little heavier when we are older. My Grandma, who was moderately overweight most of her adult life, now can't keep any weight on and comes close to dying every time she gets sick. With my fat reserves, that could never happen!

We are women, then some of us become mothers, and our bodies are never like they were before and that's normal. I guess you "bounced back" between pregancies, but not all of us do. I'm still about 17 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight (my child is turning 5 soon!), and have a ways to go after that. I got up to 290, but lost 50 pounds right away, and kept if off, but have had trouble staying under 240 ever since. (Part of it is because I barely drink now; when I used to drink alcohol, I always stayed under 200.) But I digress...

I'm about to turn 40 and MFP has my weight goal from 114-145, but my own goal is 151. I might have been 114 when I was 10, and I was never over weight until my late teens. So, I don't really agree with their range. The upper end would be ok for most people, but definitely NOT the lower end imo. (I saw my Mom, who has exactly the same build as me, at 117 once- not good.)

I'm glad that you have a reasonable doctor; rare thing in my personal experience. :cry:
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    how tall are you? I

5'4"
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Well in the aging process, the body tends to lose some of its mass. As we grow older, especially for the elderly population, a low body weight can be risky. At age 50 though.. there is no reason why you need to gain 10-15 lbs if it's always been a healthy weight for you. If you're not doing any strength training, I would highly recommend incorporating that into your routine. But beyond that I wouldn't worry about it.

I work out with weights 4x per week. Have spent a good 1-2 hours per day doing some exercise since My mid teens. Love being active.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    2nd opinion definitely required. If anything, Exercise to put on some muscle and strengthen your bones, no need to put on fat.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I just had my yearly physical and I discussed with my doctor how hard it has been to lose these last 5 pounds. I am perimenopausal and she explained that hormones (loss of estrogen?? do have somewhat of an effect on weight loss/weight gain. She did point out that I am in an appropriate BMI but I know I am going to have to work harder to get to the weight I think I should be or just be satisfied where I am!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Age makes a difference (my experience), but it doesn't mean I have to gain weight, but rather work out smarter and make better food choices than I did, when I was younger
  • hs1956
    hs1956 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am six years your senior-same height (5'4") with a medium frame. Most of my adult life I bounced between 117-124. I got up to 137 last winter and my doctor was concerned and encouraged me to loose weight! I am now at 128 and would still like to loose 6-8 pounds. I am post menopausal. I am doing more strength training to deal with the muscle loss that came with menopause. My doctor's worry was the hip/waist ratio and visceral fat . There is a lot of interesting information about visceral fat and increased risk for diabetes, high serum cholesterol, etc. Although one can have a normal BMI, the accumulation of weight around the middle that comes after menopause presents a health risk. My feeling is to try to stay in what has been normal for your adult life.

My caloric need has greatly reduced (now around 1600 for a maintenance weight in the low 120's-I consumed roughly 2200 kcal a day until my late 40s with no problems). I think the weight gain with age is related to maintaining old higher calorie consumption patterns when our bodies are no longer able to use that much, not something normal.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's a fact of life not a cop out. It happens, your metabolism will slow down. So you either keep it going with exercise and muscle or cut calories back little by little every year. Even then it happens.
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I don't give a freaking damn what magazines, doctors or my family say. I am 57 years old. I am 5'1" tall. I weigh 103 pounds and I have 19% body fat. A year and a half ago, I weighed 142 pounds and I was old, and fat, and tired.

I started watching what I ate. Then I started exercising more. Then I started running. And four months ago I started lifting heavy.

I feel 20 years younger, and I look it too. My profile pic is what I looked like a year and a half ago. This is what I look like now.

ColorMeRad4.jpg

I will NEVER listen to anyone that says you have to get heavier as you get older.

My doctor ran every test he could think of last time I was in, because I hadn't gone for almost two years and he didn't recognize me, lol. He did everything from pulmonary function to bone density testing. His conclusion was that I was in better shape than most 35 year olds.

So you go, girl! Just make sure you eat right for the work you're doing.

Oh, and the thing about having fat reserves to fall back on if you get sick? That could go for anyone - and I don't intend to live my life planning on being sick.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I appreciate and love all the feedback here! Both my parents are in their late 70's, and very healthy! They also have maintained the same weight they have weighed since hthey were in high school. My mom said what many of you have said here, you adjust and do things to pick back up your metabolism and cut back on your quantities! I am going to keep eating in a healthy matter and if weight loss stops higher than I like I will tweak things more!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I don't give a freaking damn what magazines, doctors or my family say. I am 57 years old. I am 5'1" tall. I weigh 103 pounds and I have 19% body fat. A years and a half ago, I weighed 142 pounds and I was old, and fat, and tired.

I started watching what I ate. Then I started exercising more. Then I started running. And four months ago I started lifting heavy.

I feel 20 years younger, and I look it too. My profile pic is what I looked like a year and a half ago. This is what I look like now.

ColorMeRad4.jpg

I will NEVER listen to anyone that says you have to heavier as you get older.

You look great!!!!

My doctor ran every test he could think of last time I was in, because I hadn't gone for almost two years and he didn't recognize me, lol. He did everything from pulmonary function, to bone density testing. His conclusion was that I was in better shape than most 35 year olds.

• slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! :)
    I don't give a freaking damn what magazines, doctors or my family say. I am 57 years old. I am 5'1" tall. I weigh 103 pounds and I have 19% body fat. A years and a half ago, I weighed 142 pounds and I was old, and fat, and tired.

ColorMeRad4.jpg

I will NEVER listen to anyone that says you have to heavier as you get older.

My doctor ran every test he could think of last time I was in, because I hadn't gone for almost two years and he didn't recognize me, lol. He did everything from pulmonary function, to bone density testing. His conclusion was that I was in better shape than most 35 year olds.

Oh, and the thing about having fat reserves to fall back on if you get sick? That could go for anyone - and I don't intend tio live my life planning on being sick.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a cop out. I changed my life at 53 and weigh 4 pounds more than I weighed in high school but less than college, and wear a smaller size in clothes due to strength training. It can be done.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think it is a cop out as well. When you're older you can either build muscle or cut food intake to make up for the lower metabolism. Age is not a reason to gain weight. My Oma passed away a few years ago in her 80's, she ate like a bird the last 10 or so years of her life because she knew she didn't need that many calories anymore and didn't want to get fat.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is an excuse or cop out... you don't HAVE to gain weight as you get older but to avoid it, you do need to make different food choices, up the workouts, etc... you cannot do the same thing you did in your 20s and 30 and maintain your weight in your 40s or 50s. I have worked out all my life and have to work so much harder now. I probably eat better, am much more active than I was in my 20s yet I could lose 10 pounds at the drop of a hat back then... now I have been struggling for months to lose even a few pounds.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I also believe that one of the biggest contributors to the age-->weight gain correlation is due to activity and largely due to reduction in NEAT.

Cliffs: Stay active.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I agree. So many of my friends use age as a reason for their poor health. When in reality it is the way they eat and the lack of exercise. I am 47 years old and have just embarked on a complete transformation. I do know that as we age it becomes harder to look like we once did. But i refuse to blame my poor choices on age. I've just stated weigh training and the way my body is responding is amazing. (even for an old girl). I still have a ways to go, but i am well on my way. Please don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. It can be done. It just takes us a different route then it did in our youth. And to piggy back off another comment. I too look better then some half my age. My 17 year old tells me all the time how proud of me she is that I'm taking charge of my health...