Work lunch guilt

Options
I am feeling very guilty for eating the 720 cals at lunch today. Also, I feel very bloated after this meal. What do you think it is?

A little background, I go to lunch with my coworker 2-3 times per week. We usually have a glass of wine or a bottle of beer (depending on the weather) a long with meals. Today I went with ice tea. I started healthy living 1 year ago. After I began eating healthy, exercising, etc. I started to really focus on my menu options. I know it has worked as my weight loss was not hindered. I track religiously.

I don't go to fast food restaurants for lunch, only sit down. I eat Mexican, Sushi, & American varieties most of the time. I live in California so the menus show the calories listed. I always shoot for 500 cals or less plus my drink. I go over sometimes like today. I also pack my leftovers for dinner or my family to eat for dinner.

Anyway, I always feel guilty about the trip to the restaurant. Sometimes my body feels fine but other times I feel extra full (like now) and my guilt sky rockets.

As of today, I am within 10-15 Lbs of my goal weight and 34% body fat (approx.).

Anybody have the same issue and if so...ideas? Maybe I am overreacting? (you can view my food journal)

BTW, my lunch partner is my boss and we discuss business during this time, so opting out is pretty much out of the question as crazy as that sounds!!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    So?

Losing weight, enjoying eating out, enjoying wine...

Oh, so terrible...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Definitely overreacting. If it hasn't hindered your weight loss and you're still making progress, enjoy eating out. Being a little over on calories one day a week doesn't hurt anything. You already know that.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i do my mind plays tricks on me.....sometimes ill eat a huge meal and look in the mirror and just see my old self.....
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I would drop the guilt if you can manage it. This is a lifestyle, not a diet, and you have to live this way forever! So it is human nature to go a bit overboard. You'll remember how badly you felt when you indulged this time and perhaps you'll make a better choice next time. And maybe not! It's ok. Everyone splurges now and then.
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Being over calories for JUST 1 DAY! will make you gain 100LB!!!!!!!!

=P
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Relax. You are feeling bloated because of the higher sodium and oils used in restaurant food. You didn't over eat if you kept it to 700 or so calories, so just focus on water the next couple day and beign healthy and you should be fine.

Relax. Moderation is your friend. Be healthy in mind and body.
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    Try not to feel guilty!!!! After a little while you will feel less bloated! It's ok to go over on occasion! If you do some exercise later, you can easily burn a lot of the extra calories off. I tend to feel guilty of things and then realize that I'm not being rational, that there's no actual reason to feel guilty. I think as women we tend to do that to ourselves way too much.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue today...I felt a little guilty about a Reuben.
    But then I thought "I had half of a Turkey Reuben and a Salad."
    I'm just going to work out a little harder tonight and not worry about it.
    Because, it's still better than what I used to do which was a whole regular reuben with extra thousand island and french fries. No wonder I need to lose weight! :noway:
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You guys are so positive! Thank you!! This is the first time I can feel good about my good choices!! :happy:
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    Your probly just so anxious to get to your goal you're over analyzing everything that goes in your mouth relax and try to enjoy your self stress is one of the things that can hinder your weight loss.
  • jblack1414
    Options
    Same problem, i go out with co-workers 4-5 days a week for lunch. At the beginning I was eating along the same lines as them. Then i started drinking only water which helped make me feel a lot fuller so I wouldn't order a huge lunch. I have also started to check the food database before we go out for lunch so i am prepared and know what to order. Sometimes the "healthy" salad is pushing 1000 cals. Now m co-workers are becoming more and more health concious with me.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I try to find out where we're going for lunch in advance, so I can plan ahead. If I know what I'm having for dinner, I log it first, so I know how many calories are left for lunch, then I plan my options. If lunch calorie budget is tight (after big breakfast or something), then I choose carefully and log BEFORE I go out, so I'm more likely to stick to the plan.

Also, don't be too hard on yourself...usually, if I eat a big lunch, I'm not hungry at dinner, so it all balances out.