For the girls....

Darci73
Darci73 Posts: 7 Member
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
I'm wondering if anyone out there has taken birth control pills and decided to go off them. Did your weight change? Did anything else happen like mood swings?

I stopped taking synthetic estrogen for the good of my health (after 20 years on it!) and after 1 week off it I lost 3 pounds. I also notice I feel less puffy. Sure it may just be this website making me realize what I'm eating, but my weight range does not change so rapidly...ever.

Thoughts?

D

Replies

• csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    I'm curious about this too. I've been on for 12 years. Ready to get off next month but scared what will happen with my weight. Any comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks for bringing it up Darci73!
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    I've always wondered the same thing. Interested to see what other ladies have to say.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    I stopped taking "the pill" last April after being on it for a little over 10 years. I didn't notice any weight fluctuations either way, but I'm sure, like most things, every woman is different. I didn't notice any changes when I had started it either. One odd thing that has happened is that my period is shorter now than it was when I was on the pill. Not really sure why, but I'll take it!
  • I've been on the pill for 8 years now. 2 years ago I decided to stop taking it so I could lose weight. I didn't lose any weight, I didn't gain any weight. Nothing happened. I finally decided to go back on it, and the only time I lost weight was exercising and fewer calories. I was personally disappointed I didn't lose any weight, and I told my doctor that, and he said no one ever really loses weight simply from stopping the pill. It's the way you ate and exercised that made you gain weight, and it's the same that will make you lose weight.
    Everyone's different though.
  • mariethai
    mariethai Posts: 85 Member
    From what I understand the pills influence on weight depends upon how much estrogen is in the pill. Generally alot of contraceptive pills these days have very limited effect on weight loss, however if you have one that is high in estrogen (for example contraceptive pills that are used for skin problems, such as acne) it can have a significant influence on your weight and you might notice a reduction in weight when you go off it.
This discussion has been closed.