Appropriate Apparel at the Gym

Options
So I've been noticing a trend at the gym lately of people wearing things that I wouldn't consider appropriate workout gear. Just last night for instance one guy was working in the free weights area in jeans and a polo shirt. Another guy in the same area had on pajama pants and a pair of Fila sandals.

Now I'm one that normally tries not to worry much about what other people do as long as it doesn't affect me, but for some reason I find this really annoying and I don't know why. The sandals at least I can say it's a safety issue so it's pretty dumb, by why should I be annoyed by the other crap. Anyone else feel the same way that can help me understand?

Of course I'd also really like to understand why these people would want to wear those things at a gym during their workout but that's something I don't think I'll ever know.

Replies

• clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I can't say that what others are wearing bother me. I barely notice anyone while I'm there. I say it's good that there at least at the gym. But I can also understand your frustration. Maybe the guy in the jeans and polo just had a few minutes and wanted to squeeze in a few reps but didn't have time to change. Who knows really.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I cannot for the life of me understand people who work out in jeans. Chafing much? And the sandals, yes that is a safety issue, especially in the weight room and I while I know I don't like people telling me what to do, for the almost feel like the gym staff needs to enforce closed-toed shoes. Now that so many people wear those BareFeet things though, the line is blurring. Pajama pants also not cool, what if they fall off mid squat? Personally I don't care if people match at the gym or look trendy or whatever, but your gear should at least be practical.

On a side note, there is an old man who walked up the hill by my house everyday in a pair of formal dress shoes, dress socks, basketball shorts and a red polo. On Sunday I was very glad to see he finally got a pair of appropriate shoes, but still wearing that red polo.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Sandals seem iffy. Other than that, so long as things are covered I don't care what they wear. :)
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Jeans are suboptimal if there are metal rivets on the seat as it can tear up the benches.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Meh, doesn't bug me. The guy in the jeans and polo...whatever. If that's what ya got.

I used to lift in sandals during basketball season if my feet were tore up.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Aw, damn. I thought this was going to be another thread about women at gyms in slutty clothes.

*leaves*
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Sandals are just wrong, definitely a safety issue!! As far as the jeans...I've seen people do this too and it distracts me because I'm always thinking that just can't be comfortable lol. In all seriousness though I don't really care what people are wearing. With one exception - one time there was a woman running on the treadmill wearing a tube top...that's just wrong.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Actually bare feet is best for weight lifting so maybe he was going to slip his sandals off. If you drop a 45lb plate on your foot tennis shoes aren't going to provide any more protection than sandals.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    The only reason it bothers me is because I picture myself trying to workout in my jeans and have horrific images of my jeans splitting open at the bottom of my squat. Plus, I imagine how stinky my clothes would be afterward because I sweat a LOT.

Otherwise, I register it as weird but just shake it off.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I normally wear cross trainer shoes, gym shorts, and a Nike Dri-Fit shirt but I don't always fit the mold. Last week on my shoulder night I wore flip-flops, denim shorts, and a tank top. I didn't see the point of putting on gym shorts if I wasn't going to run or do anything with my lower body that night. I doubt my shoes would provide much protection from a falling dumbbell any more than a pair of flip flops would. The top of mine are just lightweight mesh. It's not like I wear steel toed boots to the gym.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I never worry about what other people wear at the gym - and I've been guilty of wearing PJ pants. Not like the cotton kind, but the stretchy kind... in my opinion, they're the same as sweatpants and just cut different (and fit me better).

I'm at the gym to work out though, not make friends or judge anyone else.

My only pet peeve is people wearing those tiny shorts who don't wipe their swear off equipment. That's gross...
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    i feel u. it kinda irks me seeing people in street clothes at the gym. i feel if u go to the gym, you should go in gym clothes. i dont understand how people can work out in jeans anyways?
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I tend to look past the jeans, but the sandals? Seeing that irks me so badly because of the whole safety issue. We used to have a guy who came in every single day wearing sandals---or flip-flops.. The really thick shoes from American Eagle and he'd always run on the treadmill with them. Every single time, I would distance myself because I didn't want to be around the day he either broke his ankle somehow or got thrown off. Actually, I'm not really sure what WILL happen... Still, stranger *kitten* has happened...

...Take it from the idiot who wanted to get a quick 5 minute run on a treadmill while wearing flats and a work uniform. Nearly broke my damn neck...Also taught me a lifelong lesson. ^-^;
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* i generally wear a pair of jean cut offs with tights when i work out since i dont like carrying a purse and i need my keys etc what i cant figure out is how can someone not work out in cotton i love my tights which are mostly cotton cant stand some of the more "advanced" materials don't stay up when i jog ugh
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I've seen people wearing sandals on the treadmill :laugh: I say let them be, maybe a weight will fall on their toes since they are obviously waiting to hurt themselves to learn the hard way
  • mcraven1212
    Options
    It sounds cr-AZ that someone would be comfortable and able to work out in jeans and sandals at the gym but I guess "different strokes......." I guess wear whatever you have and are comfortable in and I will do the same. Completely different to me if you go out to a nice dinner and someone is wearing grub clothes and flip flop type sandals......That is when I notice!
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Actually bare feet is best for weight lifting so maybe he was going to slip his sandals off. If you drop a 45lb plate on your foot tennis shoes aren't going to provide any more protection than sandals.
    I agree. The lightweight mesh gym shoes most people wear to the gym really don't provide any protection whatsoever from a falling dumbbell. But the sandals seem stupid for the reason that you are not firm on the ground in sandals, you have to do more work to keep them on your foot. If you want to weight-lift or run on a treadmill barefoot, either do that or wear minimalist shoes. The Vibrams and the more traditional gym shoes are at least stable on your feet whereas you are much more likely to dislodge your sandal while working out which could mean injury or possibly broken equipment, and that seems like the larger safety issue than a dumbbell falling on your foot.

Getting sweaty in jeans working out sounds uber uncomfortable, but I'm not one to judge on that as I think working out and sweating that much in a t-shirt is uber uncomfortable and will only wear tank tops to work out in.
  • swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. Sometimes I see people running in Converse or Vans and all I can think is "You're going to hurt yourself if you keep wearing those!".
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I wore skate shoes and pajama pants for a while whn I was really big, but that was only until I could fit into cheaper yoga capris and afford running shoes.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've seen the manager at my gym tell people in flip flops they could not walk on treadmills. If someone is wearing jeans and is comfortable working out, I don't really care.