Paying extra for organic, free range, etc?

Options

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I don't buy organic, but I do buy free range. I just like the idea of big fluffy chickens running around, rather than sitting in their own urine, too weak and apathetic to move. It's partly because it icks me out, and it's partly because I would rather avoid causing an animal to have an unnecessarily miserable life.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I pay more for cruelty free dairy and eggs, I also only purchase meat from my local farmers who I know how the animals are raised and butchered.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I always buy organic for the Dirty Dozen (http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/) However, in general if I can afford it I will buy organic everything because it's a more sustainable practice and better for the environment, and people as a result of that. (Vote with your dollar.)

When I eat meat, I buy only local grass-fed, hormone free meat. Same goes for eggs and dairy: hormone free and sustainably produced. This means I spend a lot of time doing research on the internet - but completing a Master's degree which should have been in procrastination means I've had a lot of that for the last year or so. I pretty much have only a few brand names that I buy in the grocery store because "organic" "free range" etc. are not FDA regulated labels: basically they're marketing and anyone can use them.

So... yes, I would pay more for organic, local, and sustainable foods but in practice, I do research before I buy anything. Shopping at my local farmer's markets hasn't always been the best choice either, but it's something that matters to me. On that note, my biggest weakness is cheese (which I don't buy a lot): because I judge "good" cheese by how it tastes not how it's produced.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    The grass-fed, 93% beef from Whole Foods that costs $7.29/lb is the best tasting ground beef.

The asparagus that costs $5/lb tastes the same as the regular supermarket.

The almonds that come in a 2.5 pound tub from Costco taste better than the organic almonds from Whole Foods.

The expensive canned tuna (Crown Prince, Whole Foods) tastes better than the supermarket kind.

I've tried everything at this point (these are the first examples that come to mind)...

So, I'm assuming you guys are cutting out Oreos, Eggo Waffles, and doughnuts out of your diets/budgets... Since that frees up some money, don't assume all of Whole Foods is bad - they have a lot of stuff you can't find at your regular supermarket.
  • michmill98
    Options
    Always: milk, eggs, lettuce/spinach, strawberries, carrots, and ketchup (I don't eat the stuff but the hubby says its better tasting)
    Sometimes: meat, chicken (I buy Sanderson Farms if I don't buy organic chicken), assorted produce (depends on availibility)

I'll buy other things too if I like the taste better or the price is enticing enough (i.e. I love Annie's mac &cheese over Kraft).
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    When I can afford the splurge, I do so... but that doesn't happen all the time. I do try to buy my fruits and vegetables local either from my store (which partners with local farmers) or at the Farmers Market. I am trying organic and free range eggs for the first time this week and they were not too much more expensive then my normal eggs so we will so. I wish I could afford the meats and the like, but it is super cost prohibitive most of the year. I WISH I had space for another freezer so I could do the half a cow thing!
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    True, I love Whole Foods and I actually spend less there than when I shop at regular super markets. The produce lasts longer in the fridge (which allows me to shop once every two weeks and still be able to make healthy meals). Their bulk bins are amazing because I can only buy what I need (helps not having to store as much or if I don't like something, I don't have a whole back left of that grain or whatever I'll just finish what I have and never get it again).

Also, I like that I can mostly avoid sweets and junk foods at WF. They sell them, but I didn't grow up eating them so there's a lot less willpower involved not buying chips I'm unfamiliar with etc. Also - some speciality foods are cheaper at WF than regular supermarkets if you do buy them. I'm not saying those just add water soups or miso bowls are healthy but they're at least a dollar cheaper not on sale at WF than at any of my local places. (Used to eat them for lunch at work all the time.)
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    milk, egg, yogurt, some meats also
  • Tanglesaturnfly
    Tanglesaturnfly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have worked in the food service industry for years. As a 13 year butcher, he can tell you that most of the commercial supermarket meat that comes in is garbage. Over his time in the industry he has seen the quality of the meat decline greatly. It's not uncommon to cut into tumors in the meat and worse incidents that I won't mention here as it would prolly make you lose your lunch. And that's IBP, Swift, etc.... brands that are stocked in most every store now. I've worked in resturants, delis and bakeries. I pay more to get my food locally because the quality nowadays is straight garbage. As a cake decorator, I can assure you NOTHING is scratch from grocery store bakers despite what a lot of people think. Most frosting is water, corn syrup and oil. I've seen soup come squeezed out of a bag and heated in the microwave and mac and cheese bright yellowy-orange and squeezed from a tube. Yes you may pay more for good food but if you keep your meat portions in check and throw in a veggie based meal a night or two a week it all evens out. And the biggest thing for me is it tastes so much better and i"m supporting my community. For every $100 you spend at a chain $40 stays in your community, at a local business $60 does.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Meh. Sometimes.
    Like...sometimes I'm more apt to buying "organic" meats.
    But, usually, I don't seek out the organic stuff, like produce.
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    I have seen no difference, meat is meat. eggs are eggs. Some meats have more added sodium, but still, it's meat! You can pay more for organic and stuff, but I'm not picky. At least you're eating chicken breast, cooked to your liking, it's still much healthier than a frozen chicken nugget tv dinner. :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of my grocery shopping at Wal Mart since I live in small town and it is the best prices and the only grocery store for several miles. In a strange turn about, our local WalMart stocks a lot of local produce, dairy and meat. There is no Whole Foods in my town, but we do have Safeway and Kroger, and they tend to have more expensive imported produce, so I just stick to Wal Mart.

I don't generally buy organic due to the expense. The main exception is organic greens, as we have those in abundance and is comparable in price to conventional.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't go organic at the grocery store, but I do buy my eggs and ground beef from a local farm that feeds the animals from their own grain and no animal byproducts. The chickens are truly free range. I watched a Modern Marvel's farm tech show awhile back and Eggland's Best's idea of free range chicken is completely different than mine.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    We get all our meat from a local farmer. He's not certified organic, but is for all intents and purposes. Animals are pasture-raised and rotated. We buy in bulk 2-3 times a year so pay no more than what we would at the grocery store, and I like knowing where my meat comes from, knowing the farmer, and that I've visited the farm. They are also processed at small plants. My ground beef does not come from dozens of cows from dozens of "farms".

I also buy my eggs from pastured chickens. They cost more and taste a lot better. I also simply feel better knowing that the animals I'm eating and eating eggs from were raised humanely.

As for produce: I'll buy organic if it's reasonable to do so. At Trader Joe's, most of the organic produce is only slightly more expensive than conventional.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I do a lot of my grocery shopping at Wal Mart since I live in small town and it is the best prices and the only grocery store for several miles. In a strange turn about, our local WalMart stocks a lot of local produce, dairy and meat. There is no Whole Foods in my town, but we do have Safeway and Kroger, and they tend to have more expensive imported produce, so I just stick to Wal Mart.

I don't generally buy organic due to the expense. The main exception is organic greens, as we have those in abundance and is comparable in price to conventional.

Part of Walmart's new marketing strategy is to bring local and more organic foods to their shelves. They are trying to turn around their reputation. However, like all other supermarkets they don't have stricter standards for "organic" etc. But I think it's definitely a step in the right direction for them.

Some grocery stores do actually have their own standards for "organic" etc. like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, or some local grocers in my area that specialize in local and organic foods.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Ever since I order vegetable/fruit baskets from a local farm, I haven't been to a supermarket in 2 years.

There are more vitamins* and minerals* in the organic ones and carrots for example, have less calories than the processed ones (baby cut carrots) plus they taste better. Try a supermarket cherry tomato and compare with an organic cherry tomato. The supermarket ones are so bland.

*http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/10587.php

I buy from the farm to invest in the local economy and for environmental reasons. The benefits are health and it tastes good.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would never purchase "free range" eggs from a grocery store because a lot of the time those eggs are only called free range because the chickens are allowed to roam about a large warehouse rather than be in cages in that same warehouse. I don't buy organic purposely but I do always get my eggs from my parents farm. Their hens are locked up in a coop at night but otherwise are completely and totally free range. Same with the ducks. And to me that is totally worth the 40 minute Sunday morning drive to their house.
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Eggs and dairy are a must for me. I don't really use that much meat, so when I do buy it, I just buy from local farmers that don't use antibiotics or hormones and grain/grass feed their animals. The place that I buy my meat from ends up being no more expensive than the regular grocery store and the quality is FAR superior. I try to buy as much organic produce as I can as well. I will never forget the first time I tasted an organic apple. I can't tell the difference in all foods, but there's quite a few that I can notice a difference. Where I live there happens to be a chain of local grocery stores that are by far the cheapest store around (i.e. ALL their cerial is $2.79 to 3.50 no matter what brand). Lately they have been stocking much more organic produce that actually ends up being cheaper than what you pay for regular produce at a place like Giant Eagle. To be honest since I have been buying organic the only that has really affected my grocery bill in a noticible way is organic milk but I just love it too much to give it up! I was in Giant Eagle the other day looking at some of their organic stuff and holy cow! It's super expensive, I can totally see why people don't want to buy organic. If that was my only option for organic goods no way I could afford it either!
    And to the people who say they cannot taste a difference or that it doesn't matter... remember, most organic farmers practice sustainable agriculture.... one more thing to consider when you decide what to buy!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Meat and eggs.

It is better for the animals, better for you and it also actually tastes way better.

Always check whether free range eggs means "free to roam in a big warehouse" or "free to roam outside".

Possibly dairy as well, but I don't know seeing as I'm lactose intolerant.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Everything is worth paying a little bit more for. If you are in the UK www.abelandcole.co.uk are amazing and they deliver for 50p
    Its worth it for the taste and helping smaller businesses.