Eating back exercise calories- what do you eat?

Options
Effpcos
Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
I've lost 9kg (~19lb) in 6 weeks and have been advised to start "eating back" my exercise calories to avoid shutting down my metabolism. I still have about another 75-80lbs I'd like to lose eventually (to get back to a healthy BMI), but my husband and I are considering having another child, and I'm really worried about piling everything back on if I get pregnant again (not currently trying to conceive, that'll be next year at the earliest), so I'm thinking I should try to keep my maintenance calories high (so I'm not starving myself or baby while pregnant, or gaining a lot trying to get proper nutrition), if that makes sense!

I went from 47kg (103lb, I'm 5ft nothing so that wasn't "skinny") to 92kg (203lbs) after 10 years of pregnancies and miscarriages (5 kids, 5 m/c), the only time I've put on weight was while pregnant or ill so I do worry. Currently 83.5kg (184lbs). I haven't really tried losing weight before because I was still fit & healthy & heard lots of horror stories about yo-yo dieting ruining your metabolism. I've stayed at 203lbs without "effort" since my last daughter was born almost two years ago, so I'm guessing that means I've been eating at "maintenance" levels? (which after experimenting by logging a "typical" day was around 3000 calories. Though "obese" according to the BMI I'm not overly blubbery, I am fairly muscular at the moment (5 kids, renovating 2 houses & have just started landscaping our new 1/2 acre), my only "roll" is my belly, more stretched saggy skin than pot!

So, after that waffle, my question is what do you do to eat your exercise calories back? eg do you eat an extra snack-sized meal, or go for a glass of milk, smoothie etc? I don't normally feel hungry on the days that I do a lot of specific exercise, in fact it seems the more exercise I do the less hungry I am, which doesn't seem healthy to me?

But I've hit a plateau & it's very frustrating! I've been eating between 900-1300 calories a day & not feeling hungry, and doing a minimum of 30mins specific exercise (elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike). So I'm guessing I've lowered my BMR, =(.

Help?!

Replies

• AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a treat (frozen yogurt, for example). Other times, I make a protein shake right after my workout. Yet other times I substitute a glass of Almond milk instead of water with a meal. It really just depends. I try to make sure I eat those extra calories in healthy ways, not just as junk food because I can.

But, definitely, my favorite way to eat them back is a half-cup of vanilla frozen yogurt with a Fiber One fudge brownie <3 it's about 250 calories or so, but it is DIVINE.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I ate some of them back, some of the time. Once I plateaued, I stopped eating them and started moving more.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    The same as non-exercise calories: food.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You shuld eat more even if you dont feel like it. The averge overweight person should'nt have more thn a 1000 calorie deficit. For your height and weight you can do more than that but you're at or near 2,000! That's crazy, I would say maybe create a 1000-1500 deficit at the most. I was only netting abbout 900-1000 most days and lost weight in the beginning but haven't lost weight in like 2 weeks and actually gained a pound from eating too little, don't let that happen to you.
  • Effpcos
    Options
    You shuld eat more even if you dont feel like it. The averge overweight person should'nt have more thn a 1000 calorie deficit. For your height and weight you can do more than that but you're at or near 2,000! That's crazy, I would say maybe create a 1000-1500 deficit at the most. I was only netting abbout 900-1000 most days and lost weight in the beginning but haven't lost weight in like 2 weeks and actually gained a pound from eating too little, don't let that happen to you.

Yeah that's what I think has happened at the moment, =(. I thought I was just doing well by not eating the high cal stuff (lasagne, creamy risottos, roasts, lots of homecooking!) I normally do but maybe I've cut way too much.

edited to add: I did eat out with friends last night though!
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't do it at all. There's a lot of words here, but I believe what this guy writes: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-1.html. (Some people think he's a douche, but, you can be a douche and still be spot on.)

I see a lot of big "calories burned" numbers around and am one of those who believe people tend to wildly overestimate the amount of calories they burn from exercise. If I've had a week where I have a lot of calories left on the table, I'll eat a few things I really enjoy but that's it.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If I use this calculator for you...
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

And put in 1-3 hours of moderate exercise weekly (and you probably do more running around after 5 kids... I have 5 at home too, you get these numbers:

BMR: 1565 - the amount of calories you need to remain alive and comatose
    TDEE: 2153 - total daily calories burned on average including your exercise
    Target: 1722 - calories to eat daily to lose about 3.5 lbs/month...

I think you should eat between 1500 and 1700 daily and you should lose just fine.
  • Effpcos
    Options
    Meh, I don't do it at all. There's a lot of words here, but I believe what this guy writes: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-1.html. (Some people think he's a douche, but, you can be a douche and still be spot on.)

I see a lot of big "calories burned" numbers around and am one of those who believe people tend to wildly overestimate the amount of calories they burn from exercise. If I've had a week where I have a lot of calories left on the table, I'll eat a few things I really enjoy but that's it.

Thanks for the link, made for very interesting reading!

Ok so for the next fortnight I'll just concentrate on eating healthily up closer to what MFP has set for me and not worry too much about the exercise calories for now. One thing at a time!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I purposely eat more on workout days so I don't have a huge deficit at the end of the day. A little more of this, a little more of that while being balanced. Usually some yogurt or I'll add some guac to a sandwich. An after-workout shake helps.
  • Effpcos
    Options
    If I use this calculator for you...
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

And put in 1-3 hours of moderate exercise weekly (and you probably do more running around after 5 kids... I have 5 at home too, you get these numbers:

BMR: 1565 - the amount of calories you need to remain alive and comatose
    TDEE: 2153 - total daily calories burned on average including your exercise
    Target: 1722 - calories to eat daily to lose about 3.5 lbs/month...

I think you should eat between 1500 and 1700 daily and you should lose just fine.

Thank you! =) That's roughly what MFP has recommended too.
  • Effpcos
    Options
    I purposely eat more on workout days so I don't have a huge deficit at the end of the day. A little more of this, a little more of that while being balanced. Usually some yogurt or I'll add some guac to a sandwich. An after-workout shake helps.

MMMmmm! Guacamole! Haven't had that for ages! Yum!