Classic books you LOVED

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

I'm now delving into classic scifi and mid 20th century scifi, so far Forever War is my favorite.

The Time Machine by H.G.Wells is a trippy book!!! You should definitely check it out. Considering the time period it was written it has some pretty fantastic stuff in it. :D
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I have loved so many that are already listed but my all time favorite is My Antonia by Willa Cather. I was surprised that she didn't make the list.

This summer I read Paradise Lost by Milton for the first time and absolutely enjoyed the prose.

D
  • Alphawolf02
    Options
    Little Woman! All time favorite. I can'y wait until my niece is old enough to read it.
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    Little Women
    Old Man and the Sea
    Wizard of Oz
    The Call of the Wild
    The Scarlet Letter
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Of mice and men
    The Picture of Dorian Gray
    The Time Machine
    The Call of the Wild
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
    The Jungle
    anything by Edgar Allen Poe
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The Wind in the Willows
    Freddy the Pig
    Dracula
    Treasure Island
    The Stone Angel
    Pride and Prejudice
    The Picture of Dorian Grey
    Blue Highways
    Anything by P.D. James
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I love Wuthering Heights. I read it twenty years ago, and just yesterday watched the 2009 ITV adaptation of it on youtube, and now totally want to read it again.

I'm also quite fond of Middlemarch - although it's such a huge book I probably wouldn't have read it if it hadn't been required reading at uni. But I've now read it a few times, and each time I read it, I like it more and more.
  • jammer1964
    Options
    The Great Gatsby
    To Kill A Mockingbird

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (that might not be a classic, but it should be!)
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Rebeca
    Were the red fern grows
    I never promised you a rose garden
  • mfpseven
    Options

Really anything by Shakespeare, ****ens and Wilde....and all the obvious kids classics of course!

lol
  • bcmallwalker
    Options
    David Copperfield
    The Three Musketeers
    Pride and Prejudice

Loved them all.
  • bcmallwalker
    Options
    I have loved so many that are already listed but my all time favorite is My Antonia by Willa Cather.

I loved My Antonia too, a powerful story and great characters.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird, God's Little Acre, Gone With the Wind, Of Mice and Men, Atlas Shrugged, Fountainhead, We the Living. Atlas Shrugged kept me up way too late every night until I finished it! Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night and have to read more! Oh, Who is John Galt!!
  • mfpseven
    Options
    Pretty much every book I've read was brilliant in some way (there are a few exceptions to that for *sometimes* personal reasons). I love reading.
    One that I'll always go back to though is Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. Amazing book.

I dunno, I've read books where when I got to the end I thought, "wow, absolutely nothing happened"
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I am buying a Who Is John Galt teeshirt <3
  • bcmallwalker
    Options
    I love Wuthering Heights. I read it twenty years ago, and just yesterday watched the 2009 ITV adaptation of it on youtube, and now totally want to read it again.

I'm also quite fond of Middlemarch - and each time I read it, I like it more and more.

I've read Wuthering Heights 3 times. I do want to read Middlemarch again.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every book I've read was brilliant in some way (there are a few exceptions to that for *sometimes* personal reasons). I love reading.
    One that I'll always go back to though is Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. Amazing book.

I dunno, I've read books where when I got to the end I thought, "wow, absolutely nothing happened"

Like the book Disclosure. And Twilight series.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Brideshead Revisited
    Dracula
    Persuassion
    Jamaica Inn (anything by Daphne du Maurier)
    Lord of the Rings
    Bleak House
    All Quiet on the Western Front
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I am buying a Who Is John Galt teeshirt <3

In this day and time, we need for him to come forward!!
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Of Mice and Men
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Just finished Cuckoo's Nest a couple of days ago, and WOW! Loved it! Now, I want to find the movie so I can do the typical tear apart the movie because the book was so much better day ;)