I'm really eating too fast!

Options
I had a small bowl of instant miso soup and 7 pieces of sushi for dinner, and ate it all in less than 20 minutes. This is not good. Breakfast (yogurt with high fiber cereal mixed in) is eaten at my desk while working. Lunch is only 30 minutes long, and sometimes I use the microwave so that cuts into my time, so I eat quickly on my lunch break also. I've got all the time in the world to eat dinner. I don't know why I DO this! HELP.

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Do you have a problem with eating fast? Speed of consumption isn't really an issue unless you have some sort of medical reason or digestion issue.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You know what your problem is. That's a good start. all you have to do now is keep yourself aware of it.
    You can unlearn anything. But it has to come from you. Pay attention when you do have time. eating slower
    does make you feel fuller longer. The mire you chew your food the more nutrients you get out of it. There are
    lots of University Hospital sites on Google to explain that to you. Good Luck
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    You're right, gramacanada, I have to pay attention and take my time. I've been conditioned to eat quickly at work, and it continues when I get home. I just have to unlearn this. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Make yourself drink water in between bites. That will slow you down and help fill you up.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, probably because I have a little brother and had to eat before he did. Put your fork down between bites helps.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    20 minutes for miso soup and 7 pieces of sushi is plenty, not fast at all really.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine 7 bites of food and a bowl of broth taking longer than 10 minutes to eat.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    can you take your break meals to your desk??...how bout snacks?? break it down into 6 small meals so you can enjoy them?? medical books that i have say it takes 20-25 chews for a raw carrot to be turned into bolus....or starting digestion phase.....causes digestive track issues plus you feel fuller without eating as much food...takes 20 minutes for your brain to signal that you are full....try drinking some warm water 8oz or so before meals to maybe help you feel full ...they also say that if you set your fork/spoon down in between bites and count ...hope this helps :):)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with eating fast is that I still want more when I'm finished my plate! Now I wait half an hour if I want more, and then decide, especially at dinner. I only have 30 mins at lunch too, so often eat ridiculously fast especially if I want to walk a bit on my break as well. I don't get another break for 2 hours so will have a snack if I'm still hungry then. Dinner though, I seem to want to eat all night!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I can't imagine 7 bites of food and a bowl of broth taking longer than 10 minutes to eat.
    ditto.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    20 minutes for miso soup and 7 pieces of sushi is plenty, not fast at all really.

Exactly...I'm a slow eater and I'd finish that in 15 mins tops!
  • CuteWittleWifey
    Options
    Crap.
    I eat some of my meals in like 5 minutes flat. =/
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yesterday at lunch I looked at the clock on my stove at 1:17 and walked downstairs to eat my pasta with my husband. I had to eat it quick, and when I got up I thought to myself "surely you're going to be running late" (I had to be out the door by 1:30). I walked back upstairs, and the same clock read 1:24...
  • HurricaneElaine
    Options
    Now I don't feel so bad.. :smile:
  • taaaters
    taaaters Posts: 70
    Options
    I'm a "speed eater" too! Although, funnily enough it's usually only when I'm at work or home, not while I'm out. I try to be really conscious of what I'm eating now, chew each mouthful properly and have sips of water in between bites. I eat my breakfast and lunch at my desk while I'm working - bad! It means I'm eating mindlessly... so when I think of it I try and set little tasks to do in between bites - finish typing one section of something, read something between the next bite, anything to stop me scoffing whatever is in front of me in two seconds flat! TV is bad for fast/mindless eating too.
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If your eating breakfast at your desk, can you take a bite, then do a little work, then another bite, the work, bite then work and so on? It would spread the meal out and break up the working a bit too. As for lunch. Half an hour is really not that short a time. I have an hour, but often don't get up from my desk til a couple minutes past the hour, then microwave my lunch, then sit down and eat and easily finished by half past the hour. As for dinner, think while you are eating. Think slow. Chew more, talk between bites, drink, what ever makes you slow down..
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I still don't get it I guess, why all the fuss over how fast you're eating?
  • HurricaneElaine
    Options
    Because when I'm done, I think, "That's all there is, there ain't no more!" - And I want more. And I shouldn't.