• labrennan
    labrennan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eat more.

Yes... spend 30 mins walking on a treadmill burning 400 calories and you don't JUST get the exercise... you get to eat those calories back.

It's a win / win situation. :drinker:

Exactly why I workout everyday!
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Add me or check out my diary. I eat a lot of the same breakfasts and lunches. I switch up dinners. I prepare some of my meals up to 5 days in advance. Like breakfast, I make steal cut oats for the work week sunday night. I eat salad everyday at lunch which consists of (but not limited too) berries, cucmber, carots, mixed greens, grape tomatos, snap peas, bell peppers, chia seeds and hemp hearts. Some of the salad stuff I buy prewashed and ready to add and some I cut up in advance so its fast to make every morning. In addition I make my own dressings -usually lemon juice, lime juice, or a vinegar mixed with olive oil. I will also boil eggs and in advance and take them too eat. When my diary says mixed fruit, this means I bought a whole brunch of melons, pineapple and cut it up on sunday for the work week. I'm rarely hungry and I mostly eat whole unprocessed food. The only processed foods I really eat or frozen or canned fish, peanut butter, whole grain rice cake crackers, gluten free/rice pasta and frozen veggies. Most of my meat is wild or from a farm not a chain store. I think I eat alot.
  • npattonrn
    Options
    Bump
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:

Light English muffin (100kcals)
    Laughing Cow wedge (35kcals)
    One strip turkey bacon (35kcals) or half-ounce slice fried ham (~20cals)
    One medium egg, cooked to preference (60kcals)
    Optional: 50g veg of choice scrambled with egg (~30kcals)

Total: 215-260kcals, not including coffee/tea/cream/sugar

Lunch:

50-100g spinach (12-25kcals)
    50g avocado (80kcals)
    100g sweet pepper (20kcals)
    100g tomatoes (18kcals)
    100g baby carrots (35kcals)
    100g (raw weight) grilled chicken breast (110kcals)
    Optional: yogurt dressing or light dressing, 30g (40-50kcals)

Total: 288-338kcals

Dinner:

Turkey burger of choice (~240kcals depending on brand)
    One ounce cheddar cheese (110kcals)
    Whole-grain sandwich thin (100kcals)
    200g (uncooked weight) broccoli, steamed and dressed with lemon juice (65kcals)
    Optional: 15g light mayo (35kcals), 10g mustard (1kcal), 15g ketchup (20kcal)

Total: 515-571kcals

Total for the day if you take all the extra options is 1169 calories; 1018 without any extras and using the lowest calorie options. This leaves you 150-300 calories for snacks -- 122g of low-fat cottage cheese (90kcals) and 10g of honey (30kcals), some snack-pack pudding or frozen Greek yogurt, air-popped or portion-controlled popcorn, whatever. And this is just one possible permutation of an infinite variety of healthy meal combinations open to you. You could ditch the English muffin in favor of more meat or eggs to up your breakfast protein; you could skip the sandwich thin at dinner in favor of a serving of lentils as well. It's customizable.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I just started tracking my calories and all those other wonderful nutritional levels. I was building a lot of fruits and veggies into my meals, but I was amazed at how much sugar is in a banana!! I thought those things were good for you! :cry:

sugar isnt bad for you....

but yeah
    eat lots of veggies, add grapes and figs to your salad for a different texture and make your own salad dressing!
    Same goes for sauces, always make your own and you can control what goes in it
    lower you carb portions.
    i.e. a serving of rice or pasta is 75g (dry) having 50g will fill you up exactly the same and save you like 120 calories!
    if youre craving icecream make banana and berry icecream!
    theres loads of dessert recipes that can be made low calorie.
    have you tried stevia meringues? theres like 20 calories in a huge one!

but yeah also exercise so you can eat more :D
  • BagheeraGirl
    Options
    I'm on 1,200 calories a day, but I have a lot of walking built into my day with my commute so it usually works out to be 1,300.

Some things that have helped me:

-Vary up your salads. I usually stick to a garden salad that is mostly veggies and alternate with a "sweet" salad with fruits and lettuce. I've noticed that the latter has more sugar, so you'll have to be careful with that one. A small apple or even half an apple cut up in squares makes for great mock croutons. Halving serving sizes for small salads is a good way to get more variety in your salad for half the calories. For example, cut up three dried apricots instead of a typical serving of six. I also got a container that's customized for salads on the go.

-Soup. I have access to a stove for lunch, but there are definitely microwaveable soups. Look for something low in sodium.

-Nuts make for a great snack, and you don't need too many to fill up (I'm looking at you, almonds)

-Switch from coffee to tea. It'll cut out calories that you would normally add for sugar and milk/cream.

Hope this helps!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    1 example: 4-5 oz chicken breast for dinner with whatever veggies you like.

my goal is 1400. and i eat good. feel free to look at my diary as it is open and completely filled out for the 82 days Ive been on here.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I work out so I can eat more than my lousy calorie allotment.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would say veggies are your best friends, as a lot of others have said. Fruit, while good for you, is much higher in calories due to the natural sugar content. I like spaghetti squash because it's only (i think) 42 calories per cup. If i'm wrong someone correct me. But i love mixing that, light pasta sauce and turkey meatballs for a satisfying, delicious dinner!
  • Mrsko79
    Mrsko79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I set my calorie goals for 1500 calories a day. I also try to exercise everyday so that I can also eat more. if I don't exercise for a day, I go below 1500 so around 1300. I always try to make sure I'm eating a lean protein, fruits and vegetables, wholegrains, fiber, beans stuff like that.

so a sample of what I eat is egg whites with sautéed veggies and fat free cheese or 1 whole egg in the morning with grits or oatmeal and a banana, low fat yogurt or cottage cheese and soups for lunch and snacks. I eat light ice cream for dessert or sugar free candies.

Dinner varies but I watch my calories and portions and I'm usually usually fulfilled. Goodluck!
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200-1400 calories per day since April and it's not really that bad. I eat 300 calories or under meals 4x a day. I eat lots of fruits, veggies, fish, and lean meats. My snacks are usually think thin bars, almonds, and peanut butter. I also allow myself to eat back my exercise calories (within reason). So if I ever want to go over I don't feel guilty about it. You can do this. I know it may not seem like it but you do have lots of yummy options.
  • moneypenny50
    moneypenny50 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey I go on 1000- Over 55; post menopause; exercise like crazy. Only way to lose any weight.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    change your goals to something more realistic/sustainable. 1300 for a 23 year old isn't gonna last.
    ETA: Especially since this is a necro-thread and the only reason it's back is from a bump for ideas.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eat more.

This. You can take it a step further and search the forums for the "roadmap" method or TDEE- 20%. I do this and find it so much easier. However, you MUST do the amount of exercise you set your BMR to or you will gain weight. I also tend to round down, just upped mine today to 1900 calories per day, based on my new exercise routine of running (3xper week).

Good luck!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eat more.

Yes... spend 30 mins walking on a treadmill burning 400 calories

gross overestimation, but the idea is there.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Check out my Diary. I'm usually at around 1300-1400 calories total per day recently.

However, make sure you are eating enough calories. If you're not getting enough, the body will actually start slowing down metabolism to store fat, because it thinks it's starving..

If you continue with your low calorie diet and find that you're constantly hungry and not losing as much as you feel you should be, try increasing your caloric in-take by a hundred or two.

A 25 year old guy eating 1300-1400. Uhm. Sadly uninformed. Men need to eat at least 1800.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    change your goals to something more realistic/sustainable. 1300 for a 23 year old isn't gonna last.
    ETA: Especially since this is a necro-thread and the only reason it's back is from a bump for ideas.

Oops, didn't realize it was resurrected.
  • ivannamarie7
    Options
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    ...^. . . . and then.....