Out of balance body?

Options
My upper body has always been thinner than my lower body. Now that I'm at a healthy goal weight, my arms look kind of skinny. My legs, however, do not!:laugh: My hubby says my arms are too thin now and wants me to gain weight.
Here's my question-would weight training add more bulk to my arms-especially forearms? I had surgery this summer and haven't done weight training in several months. Any ideas? Should I try to gain a little weight back? I don't want to look scrawny!
By the way, I haven't updated my photo but I'm 5'3" and weigh 127. Also 51, if that makes a difference.:noway:

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Any ideas?
  • Danflex
    Danflex Posts: 14
    Options
    It is always a good idea to add strength training to your lifestyle. Certainly weigh training will add some size to your arms but if your natural body type is how you describe it is unlikely to add great size gains without the proper calories to go with it. I can identify with your concerns as I have the opposite body type you do. My legs are relatively my slimmer and weaker parts. Personally your body type sounds very feminine and attractive and I bet you look great to the great majority of people.
  • fittocycle
    Options
    Thanks! I'll add more weight training and see what happens!
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Definitely add weight training, with a balanced program. Any body type will look better, and you might find your shoulders and arms filling in a little by doing so, thereby helping to balance out your bottom half. If you've never trained with weights, it's a good idea to have someone qualified showing you how and tell them your concerns too. I'm sure they will set you up on a program that will help with your goals. One can't change one's basic body type/bone structure, but one can always bring it to one's own potential! Look at pix of people who have a similar body type who got into really good shape to see what's realistic for your structure. Best of luck!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    ^totally agree with these fabulous folks.

Weight training is always good.

That said, if you are a pear shape you will always have that pear shape but you can make it look the best it can by adding a strength/weight training routine.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    This is a bit simplistic, but women's muscles are no different than mens in that if you want to bulk up your arms, you lift heavy weight, less reps.
  • fittocycle
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Other than my skinny arms, I am happy at this weight.:smile: I looked up some exercises for forearms and will start those today!