Runners: how much does heat impact your run?

Options
13»

Replies

• brentb71
    brentb71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much a new runner... started in April 12. In south Louisiana we get plenty of heat and humidity. My weekday runs are primarily in the evenings and the temp definitely takes its toll on pace, fatigue, and heart rate. Even a slight drop (10 degrees) in temp & humidity I notice an improvement in all of those factors.

I have yet to run in fall and winter so I can't attest to it but I am REALLY looking forward to it!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I suspect it was done the same way they determined formulae for estimating maximum heart rates--and with just as high a margin of error.
    I would guess the same. I can't imagine the estimates are terribly accurate if you need to predict a specific pace / temperature.

I do think that nearly everyone is affected by some degree, though, just some more than others.
    In elite races, you pretty well never see course records or world records set when it's 80F+ (unless of course it's usually 80F+ for that race, obvs). But you see some of the athletes falling apart much worse than others.
  • iBetYouDontBelieveMe
    Options
    As you lose weight your tolerance to heat changes.
    You'll become cooler in hotter weather just because you have less layers of insulation on you.
  • ixap
    Options
    As you lose weight your tolerance to heat changes.
    You'll become cooler in hotter weather just because you have less layers of insulation on you.
    Oh yeah, this is true too for sure. Even 10 pounds is a noticeable difference for me.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I suspect it was done the same way they determined formulae for estimating maximum heart rates--and with just as high a margin of error.
    I would guess the same. I can't imagine the estimates are terribly accurate if you need to predict a specific pace / temperature.

I do think that nearly everyone is affected by some degree, though, just some more than others.
    In elite races, you pretty well never see course records or world records set when it's 80F+ (unless of course it's usually 80F+ for that race, obvs). But you see some of the athletes falling apart much worse than others.

Bill Rodgers was one who could not tolerate heat. Was top world marathoner in 1976. Finished 40th (2:25) in Montreal.
  • ixap
    Options
    I feel like Paula's awful crash-and-burn at Athens was at least partly attributable to the heat too, don't you?
  • ixap
    Options
    PS - has anyone read Duel in the Sun? re: the super hot Boston marathon showdown between Salazar and Beardsley. Great read.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It affects me a lot. When its in the high 90s I notice that I run slower and feel a lot more tired. I try to run in the morning before it gets too hot. On a serious heat wave when its hot in the morning I just don't run.