Am I the only one who hasn't experienced living in w/ a SO?

Options
I don't have anything against couples who live together before marriage since its their choice. However I live in another country wherein living in with a boyfriend/girlfriend before marriage is considered a taboo here. Whenever I look up on threads asking relationship advice, most of the time I cannot relate much to what everyone saying since I have no experience living in with a boyfriend so while I can relate to the other aspects but I feel I have no actual clue on how the OP really feels. So as much as I want to give advice but I don't really know how. To be honest, sometimes I feel out of place whenever I see those threads even if I have a fair share of past experiences except that I never lived with my exes.

Am I alone on this one?

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    No one?
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You probably can't relate to the men on the site, especially those who are working on building muscles and having awesome six-packs. I'll bet you don't relate to the women who are at or near 300 pounds. There are lots of people and circumstances you can't relate to and if those don't bother you, why let this one bother you?
  • iamihobo
    iamihobo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did not live together before we got married so you're not alone :)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I haven't lived with an SO. I've only have one serious boyfriend though.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I've never lived with an SO.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You probably can't relate to the men on the site, especially those who are working on building muscles and having awesome six-packs. I'll bet you don't relate to the women who are at or near 300 pounds. There are lots of people and circumstances you can't relate to and if those don't bother you, why let this one bother you?

^THIS. This shouldn't even be an issue. Why do you feel so compelled to give advice then? Just hit BACK on your browser and move on. Simple.
  • chrissayya
    Options
    My boyfriend is in the army, stationed in Kentucky. I'm in graduate school in NYC and before that lived on Long Island (in NY) where I grew up. We haven't lived together and probably won't anytime soon because my education is my top priority right now (and that's the way he wants it to be too). I haven't lived with any past boyfriends either. Sometimes I feel like that too but I think there's lots more people out there that haven't lived with SOs :)
    Options
    I'm currently working on to build muscle & I workout like a guy so somehow I can relate to the men. However that one is different since this case is more of a personal thing. Its not that I'm bothered since I was raised in another country with a different set of culture but sometimes I feel like a weirdo.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It's very common here, shamefully so IMO. I am not for it!
    But what are you asking? What do you mean by "relate?"
    And why did you mention that you feel "out of place?" What do you mean?
    And what do you mean by "even if I have a fair share of past experiences"?
    Please ask a more specific question.
  • Hmwarren84
    Hmwarren84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did not live together before we got married. But this was our choice and not due to societal, religious, or family pressure.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I didn't live with or sleep with my husband before we got married. I can still offer advice, but they may not put as much value on my opinion. But they're not required to. All I can do is offer as sound advice as I can give and leave it up to them to decide if what I said applies to their situation.

Edited for unintentional autocorrect.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My husband and I waited until we got married to sleep/live together, too.
  • kbmiller27
    kbmiller27 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were together long distance for about 3.5 years before we got married. We got married in September and I didn't move in until December when I graduated from college. We are still very happily married after almost four years.

So, I never could relate either, but then again I don't usually offer up advice unless I have personal experiences to go off of.
    Options
    It's very common here, shamefully so IMO. I am not for it!
    But what are you asking? What do you mean by "relate?" -
    And why did you mention that you feel "out of place?" What do you mean?
    And what do you mean by "even if I have a fair share of past experiences"?
    Please ask a more specific question.
    Fair share of past experiences = I had almost the same experience & the lesson I learned from it.

Sorry I cannot express your other concerns in English since I'm not a native speaker either.
    Options
    Thanks everyone... Its good to see that I'm alone on this one. However like what I have said, I have nothing against those who chose to move in with their BF/GF & I totally respect their decisions.