Run Smokey Run

Options
Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything here in the short time I glanced around. I used to be a smoker. I smoked a pack a day or so of Marlboro Light 100's for many many years. I've recently quit a little over 2 months now and am really wanting to take up running. I've still got a lot of weight to lose but running is so much fun. I have done races (5K's) but always mostly walked. One would think that my weight would make it hard on me at 259 lbs. However, the one thing holding me back is breathing. My body can keep going and going and going, but my lungs are on fire after only a tenth of a mile at 5mph. I know, that's sad. Ive been practicing some deep breathing exercises (maybe not long enough) but I'm curious if anyone has had these same problems and how you overcame it. Is it natural to have lava lung or should I maybe talk to my doc? Opinons?

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am not a smoker but I have asthma. I use an inhaler before I run. I forgot on Tuesday and I thought my chest was going to explode.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help or not but Pilates might help with your breathing. I did Pilates years ago but only for about 3 months cause it was just too slow for me and I didn't have the patience to do it any longer. But the two things I noticed more than anything was my breathing and sleeping were so much better I mean big time changes. And I stood up very straight and never slouched anymore either which probably helped with my breathing also.

Edited to say: I am not a smoker and have not smoked a cigarette in over 20 years and when I was a smoker I only smoked for about two years but only on occasions not all day, or every day.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help or not but Pilates might help with your breathing. I did Pilates years ago but only for about 3 months cause it was just too slow for me and I didn't have the patience to do it any longer. But the two things I noticed more than anything was my breathing and sleeping were so much better I mean big time changes. And I stood up very straight and never slouched anymore either which probably helped with my breathing also.

Edited to say: I am not a smoker and have not smoked a cigarette in over 20 years and when I was a smoker I only smoked for about two years but only on occasions not all day, or every day.

thank you so much for the advice!! I'll try this!