Crazy Schedule Suggestions?

Options
Hello!
I am seeking suggestions on how I can be more oragnized, motivated and successful with my crazy hectic schedule. My schedule is everything but normal and routine. I never know how much sleep I'll get or when I can really do something. I work generally 4pm-12am. However I've been ordered to work 4pm-4am, or 12-12am or 8-4, or 12am-8am.. Basically where I'm needed. On top of that, I am a mother. I have a daughter of my own, and we have two sons from his previous marriage that stay with us on and off (shared custody). Being a mother and running a household. Needless to say I'm sleep deprived, lack energy and want to find a happy medium! Any Suggestions?

Replies

• xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    im also interested. i work 9-5 some days, then the next i may work 4-11pm. on top of that, i go to college full time. ive tried to rearrange my beach body program schedule to fit my days off and work hours, but it seems close to impossible...
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    do you want suggestions with food? or exercise?

I don't have as crazy a schedule as you, but I have a long commute (4+ hours per day). I only have my stepkids (2) every other weekend. My husband helps a lot with cooking.

For food I generally plan ahead. I buy stuff in bulk and when I can I make a lot of food in the weekends so I can just grab combinations and go. Do you have a microwave at your work?

When I'm not working or commuting I plan my exercise days. It doesn't always work out but that's how life is :) I don't tend to take care of any personal errands or anything until my weekend. My husband has a better schedule and does a LOT (believe me I'd like to grant him sainthood). Can you ask your partner to help you to achieve your goals?

I honestly think planning ahead is the only thing you can do. And be flexible. And don't beat yourself up if you have a last minute schedule change.

Sleep is REALLY important though, so when you do get a chance, try to just make sure you are sleeping. Give yourself 30 min before bedtime with no electronics, phone, internet, nada. And if you don't have a dark room put on a sleeping mask. If you are wound up try also taking magnesium citrate that half hour before.

I hope that helps you a little bit.
  • kacinace
    kacinace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I work 7pm-7am and also have a daughter at home. Pre-planning my days, and tracking midnight to midnight works best for me. When I don't preplan my food and exercise I do terribly!
  • happypath101
    Options
    I'm a single Mom with a demanding full-time job. I volunteer with a few organizations. I run a household. I am dating a great guy. But, I'm not ready to move in with him yet and so I'm going back and forth to his place when my kid is with his Dad. I have a big family and a large group of friends to keep up with. And if that isn't enough, I'm writing a book.

On top of all that, I'm here. I count calories and work out pretty much daily.

So, I hear you sister!!! :O)

I think the thing that helps the most for me is to forget about doing anything a particular way all the time. I drop in at Bikram yoga. I often work out while my kid is at Martial Arts. I might go for a run at 9pm. I might put on gymn gear and run the stairs at the office on a busy, rainy day. I have a collection of workout DVDs you wouldn't believe because a lot of my exercise has to happen when I can do it. Sometimes, I can't even get changed. I just wear my work clothes on a long walk or do the 30 day shred in my jeans. It's not ideal, but you gotta do it what you gotta do.

Also, don't even consider perfection. We're too busy to be perfect. Just try to be a little healthier than you used to be. If that's your mindset all the time, you'll make huge changes over the long term.