Those seasoning packets you get at the store

Options
I love those little seasoning packets you can buy at the grocery store. They are convenient and they allow me to add flavor to my meals without adding much in the way of calories. But, OMG, the sodium is crazy high! It's probably also loaded with MSG, I didn't check, but I have to assume it's there too. I just know I'm going to blow up like a balloon tomorrow because I went over on my sodium by 2,000+ mg today.

I guess I'll just skip the packets and just season my food myself, but with less salt.

Replies

• laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash.... no sodium. :)
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The ones in UK are just full of sodium,sugar and msg AND expensive- much healthier to prep own and don't even get me started on the addictive quality of maggi cubes!
  • kikilorain
    kikilorain Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have found seasoning recipes on www.allrecipes.com that are really nice because you can make big batches of it and also alter it to your taste. So far, I've made taco seasoning, fajita seasoning, and italian seasoning... with good success! Good luck!
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love those little seasoning packets you can buy at the grocery store. They are convenient and they allow me to add flavor to my meals without adding much in the way of calories. But, OMG, the sodium is crazy high! It's probably also loaded with MSG, I didn't check, but I have to assume it's there too. I just know I'm going to blow up like a balloon tomorrow because I went over on my sodium by 2,000+ mg today.

I guess I'll just skip the packets and just season my food myself, but with less salt.

You could also look into Wildtree.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    "Taco" Seasoning Recipe:

1/2 tsp garlic powder or granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    salt to taste (I use garlic salt)

Mix that all up and keep it in a little jar. Great on eggs!

If you want to make taco meat, the above recipe is good for about a pound of whatever meat you use. I like using ground chicken best. Brown the meat, add the seasoning, mix well, then add about half a 14-oz can of tomato sauce and a bit of water. I also like to squeeze in some lime. Adjust seasonings to taste and enjoy!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've never seen seasoning packets in the store? I do like buying some spice blends from Penzey's. They are pretty good.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I like Penzey's Spices blends.... MSG free..... Good quality spices. Worth every penny.

If I'm stuck at the store, I try to find the McCormick ones. The blends I've used from them have all been MSG free, reduced sodium, and gluten free. I think some of their blends aren't, but the ones I have found and use are.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Just start a collection of spices... best investment you can make!

I make my own "seasnoning packets" from spices I already have and recipes on the web... I know exactly what goes in there and it is pennies compared to dollars.

Start collecting 1 or 2 different spices each time you go to the store. Start off at the Dollar Tree or another dollar store. Even CVS or Walgreens often runs specials where you can get their spices (yes, they carry spices) for like 88 cents.

I recommend: Minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary to start. You can branch out from there. I think I own every spice known to man now and I use them 100% of the time in my cooking. You wouldn't believe the flavor compared to boxed processed salty packets and store "food."
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Just start a collection of spices... best investment you can make!

I make my own "seasnoning packets" from spices I already have and recipes on the web... I know exactly what goes in there and it is pennies compared to dollars.

Start collecting 1 or 2 different spices each time you go to the store. Start off at the Dollar Tree or another dollar store. Even CVS or Walgreens often runs specials where you can get their spices (yes, they carry spices) for like 88 cents.

I recommend: Minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary to start. You can branch out from there. I think I own every spice known to man now and I use them 100% of the time in my cooking. You wouldn't believe the flavor compared to boxed processed salty packets and store "food."

Love this. My mom and grandma always cooked like this. The only added salt was actual salt so everything had a great mild flavor, not just salty flavor.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought Penzey's Spices was just a Wisconsin thing...there are like 5-6 outlets near me (I pass by nearly every one of them between home and work!) and they are awesome! Then I go to the website and they're all over. Guess I'm not so special! :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought Penzey's Spices was just a Wisconsin thing...there are like 5-6 outlets near me (I pass by nearly every one of them between home and work!) and they are awesome! Then I go to the website and they're all over. Guess I'm not so special! :)

Well... they aren't quite all over yet. They are still a special outing when I visit my parents once or twice a year. And I stock up. Same thing with Trader Joe's... I stock up.

Fortunately, within the next year and a half we are slated to get both a Penzey's and a Trader Joe's in a city about an hour and a half from us. YIPPEE!!!!!!
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've bought those before, when I started watching ingredients and nutrition I found them to be full of strange chemicals and just like op said lots and lots of salt! I've gotten to where I can replicate about any of those packets by looking online or by smelling or dabbing a bit on my finger to taste. I find it more fun to season my food the old fashion way.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Those things are just way too high in salt. I like getting Mrs. Dash or seasoned grinders. I have not added salt to my food in a long long time.
  • Powergirl123
    Options
    FIBER SUPPULENTS SHOULD HELP WITH THE BLOATING AND HAVE A GOOD DAY

-POWERGIRL123
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    FIBER SUPPULENTS SHOULD HELP WITH THE BLOATING AND HAVE A GOOD DAY

-POWERGIRL123

What?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't know what just happened above me but....

Look into Wildtree... seriously. Far more economical than the "packets", natural, no MSG, etc...

Also try Penzy's.

MSG is fading fast as a trend. It's even out of Lawry's Season Salt now. So yay :)
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have found seasoning recipes on www.allrecipes.com that are really nice because you can make big batches of it and also alter it to your taste. So far, I've made taco seasoning, fajita seasoning, and italian seasoning... with good success! Good luck!

This is what I do too! So much better for you than those packets!
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    personally, i think people are over paranoid about NaCl. Your body does REQUIRE it for functioning. that said, i do all my own seasonings, and i too
    LOVE PENZEY's.... I have to order online.

Once you order something, they will send you a catalog every few months. And they list everything that's in something and note the "salt free" things if that's what you need.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't know what just happened above me but....

Look into Wildtree... seriously. Far more economical than the "packets", natural, no MSG, etc...

Also try Penzy's.

MSG is fading fast as a trend. It's even out of Lawry's Season Salt now. So yay :)
    They may be phasing out MSG, but a lot of those have trans fat. McCormick's usually doesn't, but most of the others do.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Penzy's. I'll have to check that out. I usually only use the seasoning packets if I'm short on time, and it was a McCormick's that I ended up using. I think it may be time to retire the quick meals drawer from my kitchen. :smile: