Walking as exercise

Options

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that all walking helps, in fact just parking in the farthest corner of the supermarket car park instead of as near as possible will burn a few calories extra as you walk across to the entrance, plus it is easier to find a spot :happy:

I am off for a longish walk along the seafront in about 30 minutes time, sun is out, pleasant seascape & flower gardens, what could be a nicer way to burn of a few calories?

PS I note you are in Bournemouth, ideal for walking, slight hills along the front, you could even use the steps up from the beach, that should help as well
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Any activity that amps up the heart-rate is cardio/cardiac-friendly.

I wont ever be able to do anything jogging/running related thanks to having bilateral calcaneal spurs. One of my heels has broken bone fragments along with a slowly healing calcanal fracture. All I can do is walking for my cardio.

I have found that walking on a 0 incline does not get my heart rate up enough, so.... if I hit a 10.0 incline, my heart rate goes up so much faster. Along with a good pair of sneakers, a supportive orthotic, I can easily burn 200-250 calories every 15 minutes.

A fellow musician I know walked off 85lbs in under 10 months in conjunction with changing her eating habits....

Anyone who tells you differently is obviously starving, lazy or just being an *kitten* in my mind! LOL!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Walking briskly or Power walking is a very useful exercise. You can a nice amount of calories depending on how long you do the walk for. Also when you do a power walk you can incorporate some other exercises in there such as lunges, step ups and squats. If you look around the net you will find videos or sites that give you information on how to make your walk more interesting and work for you.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I love to walk. In fact I'd rather walk an hours worth than go out on a jog.
    I do go jogging every now and again with my friends but by this I mean jog until we get tired, give up too easily and power walk until we get our breaths.
    I do exercise onto of walking but sometimes my days are sos busy that I haven't got time for exercise or it gets late in the evening so I think shoot i have exercised today, I'm now tired so ill go on a walk, maybe to my friends out of town and back. Its an easy workout.
    However, everyone I speak to tells me that walking is useless. I'm burning no calories and I'm never going to get fit by walking. They tell me that instead of going on an hours walk why don't I go on a half hour jog instead. I have tried but with me being really unfit, I get tired too quickly and end up giving up and resulting to a 4mph power walk.

Does walking actually work or is it a pointless exercise??

From my school physics lesson: work done = force x distance

Anyway, re jogging vs walking, and exercise in general, you want to get breathless as that pushes your CV system. Therefore, if you can jog then do it, but if you don't have the energy or time, then try interval training: 1 minute of jogging, 1 minute of walking, repeat until energy or time run out. Over time, you can increase the time jogging and reduce the time walking.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Your stated goal is to lose weight. Losing weight is simply a matter of burning more calories than you consume; that is to say, being in a calorie deficit. You do that three ways, two of which are automatic -- simply being alive, your normal daily activities, and exercise. Any exercise that burns calories will help you achieve a deficit. The best exercise to choose is one that you'll do most often, which for you, is walking.

I lost the overwhelming majority of my weight -- probably 70 lbs. of it -- walking at a comfortable pace of just 3 mph.

The people advising you are terribly misinformed.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    :laugh: walking is completely useless for weight loss :laugh:

Please point anyone that says such stupid things in my direction :smile: 60kg lost now purely from walking as my primary exercise :smile:
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of those recommendations in favor of walking above. Moving equals calories burned and calories burned in excess of calories taken in equals weight loss. :smile:
    I love walking and hate running so it is better for me to walk one hour per day at a brisk pace and lose one pound a week than not run everyday because I hate it. Make sense?

I don't find it useful listening to people who think that unless I suffer it's not "doing any good".

Also the added benefit of daily power walking is increased endurance (regardless of "target heart rate") and it also clears your mind after a hectic day and gets you outside-even in the dark. I've been doing it for years and it really does help your piece of mind and doesn't require special clothing or equipment which-lets face it- only cuts into your walking time.

Hope this helps you to get out there!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Walking is amazing exercise and a 4 mph pace is no joke! Keep going like that and running a colorie deficit and weight will drop off, I'm sure. When it comes to exercise, the best exercise is the one you enjoy and will keep up at. If I have to read another "When will I learn to like running?" thread, I'll scream! Loads of people making themselves miserable doing something they hate! Life's too short!

You love to walk? Then walk! Forget this terrible advice about something being "better" than what you already enjoy doing! I'm guessing this person was either a) a runner and pushing their pet love, or b) misinformed.
  • LOL Where do you live- that is beautiful!

I think this is directed at me, on the edge of the Peak District national park, England.

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/
    [/quote

the peak district is beautiful, i live not far from Northumberland which is lovely too!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Walking is my primary form of exercise. As long you can pick up the pace enough to get your heart rate up it is a great way to burn those extra calories. I'm looking forward to fall and some cooler weather so I can really enjoy my daily walks without getting heat stroke
  • Janedebond
    Options
    Not only is walking good - it is much better for your joints than jogging.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    :laugh: walking is completely useless for weight loss :laugh:

Please point anyone that says such stupid things in my direction :smile: 60kg lost now purely from walking as my primary exercise :smile:

Nice going!
  • luckystan
    luckystan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can not afford the expense of joining the gym or having exercise equipment at home, so I walk
    I walk three times a week at quite a fast pace. I walk for 1.5 hours and cover 6 miles. I burn off 500 calories for each walking session and I have lost a couple of inches off my waist too. I think it is safe to say that WALKING DOES WORK.
    As for those who doubt this form of exercise, because it exercise and great for your heart and your wellbeing..... invite them to join you and then see what they think.
    Keep up the good work!!
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight by walking, its great exercise and it is also saving me a fortune in diesel :)
  • ibjoanie
    Options
    I wear a pedometer and try to walk 20000 steps a day. That's the only exercise I do during the week and I have lost plenty of weight. I am a slow walker, too - probably no more than 2.5 miles per hour. I get off the underground a few stops early and walk the rest of the way to and from work. I go out for a walk during lunch - 20 to 30 minutes. If I haven't met my walking goal by the time I am home, I will go out after supper and walk.

Walk! It works!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yes walking works!
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    http://www.npr.org/2012/08/20/159377837/getting-fit-why-more-people-are-walking-the-walk?sc=emaf

A recent radio segment about walking. Bottom line, it may not help EVERYONE lose pounds, but even so, its great for you, so if you like it, do it.
  • NCJB
    NCJB Posts: 10
    Options
    Walking is a great calorie burner, and it works at countering the negative effects of our sedentary world.

The myth that it is useless probably comes from sports.

Walking will not benefit your stamina beyond a certain point(if it's all you do, it probably does, but if you say..box or play basketball it would be a waste of time compared to other training) To build your aerobic fitness your heart rate has to go above a certain point for 20 minutes or so depending on your age and conditioning, walking for most people won't do it.

But keep walking, especially if your goal is to lose weight, or just be active in some form. It's relaxing, healthy, and low impact compared to jogging. If you plan to get into a boxing ring, then you may consider running in the time you'd normally spend walking :)
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise! And you have to do something you enjoy to keep it up (IMHO). I would rather walk 100 miles than run 1. If running were my exercise, I'd never do it and therefore have no health benefit at all. Walk your butt off and enjoy :)
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    walking is not a pointless exercise! i walked all the way through my last pregnancy even the day i was in labour i walked 3miles and i only gained 2lbs and i lowered my body fat in the process! i also love to walk and try to walk a good 3miles a day i have done this for over a year now and lost 60lbs! i only started doing more exercise after about 7months of just walking, i wear a HRM on long walks and burn up to 800cals on a 8-10mile walk!