What about Splenda?

Options
I just read the thread about aspartame and how it contributes to migraines, the tendency to put on belly fat, etc.

I don't consume much, if any, aspartame, but I do like to put some splenda in my fruit smoothies. Usually fruit is too "tart" for me - it's just a taste thing, it's been like that all my life. I've never understood how people say they can satisfy their sweetness cravings with fruit, because with a very few exceptions, fruit isn't sweet, except for bananas. The fruits that do have some sweet have so much tart with them that it offsets the sweet. Most of our fruit is imported way up north where I am, so that probably explains it.

Anyway, just wondered if people had information or opinions about the use of Splenda, aside from the point about artificial sweeteners dulling the palate and causing the craving for more sweets.

Replies

• dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The beauty of Splenda is that it does not contain aspartame. I have been using it for years, since the Atkins diet, and I haven't had any bad side effects, or noticed that it makes me crave sweets more often. I love Splenda. That's all we buy in my household.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Besides what dragonfly81 said "ditto" they now have SPLENDA WITH FIBER awesome!!!!
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    Splenda is technically sucralose, an artificial sweetener. My digestive tract doesn't agree with it. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time until I switched to Stevia and natural sweeteners. And, it definitely seems to backfire with me... I seemed to crave more sweets toward the end of the day when I was putting it in my coffee and oats in the morning. I don't have these problems any more.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Splenda isn't much better, I don't think. Stevia is what you need to be looking for- pure Stevia, not a blend with artificial sweetners like Sucralose. Stevia comes from a plant, and is supposedly very sweet so small, small amounts are needed. You can find it in with the herbal supplements.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I would recommend searching for "Splenda" under the message boards - there have been lengthy discussions about this with some good information posted.

In a nutshell - there is no scientific evidence that Splenda contributes to negative health effects despite hundreds of scientific studies, except for when lab animals consumed waaaaaay more Splenda that you or I would ever consume. But pretty much anything can have bad consequences when consumed in grossly high amounts.
  • Corruption
    Options
    My personal experience is if I ingest Splenda I feel like a victim from the movie "Scanners". Whether it's actually the Splenda or not, I can't really say for sure but it's consistent enough for me to avoid Splenda as much as possible.
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yeah, I know all about stevia - I have it in my cupboard. I've been buying it for about a year. But I really like Splenda. I think I'm fine putting a little in my smoothie every morning. :happy: It's like anything else - moderation is the key.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yeah, I know all about stevia - I have it in my cupboard. I've been buying it for about a year. But I really like Splenda. I think I'm fine putting a little in my smoothie every morning. :happy: It's like anything else - moderation is the key.

Well yah, I'm sittin here drinking a diet soda. :tongue:
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to try Stevia, but haven't wanted to fork over that much cash for it just yet. I've heard that if you don't measure it out just right, it's way too bitter.
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I've had a stevia question. Can it be used in baking like you can with splenda? Since it is natural without any "chemical adjustment", I'd like to get in the habit of using it more often. -katie

267447.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    I'd like to try to bake with Stevia, but I haven't bought anything but the packs so far. I'm not sure how to measure it out... good question.