Filling Foods--What do you eat to stave off overeating?

Options
2»

Replies

• runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, watermelon, veggies.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Fruit, veggies, and nuts.
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    unsalted pistachios - about 100 calories for 30 nuts, and the shells mean it takes longer to eat, giving more time for your stomach to register the food. They are super-healthy and delicious - and keep the munchies at bay
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I have a salad with every dinner, and now eat about a third of what I used to of the main meal. Very filling, and about 120 calories with dressing, cheese, and tomatoes
  • drthipah
    drthipah Posts: 23
    Options
    I found that 1 Greek yogurt (Fage brand) and blueberries will keep me full until lunch. It has alot of protein which helps burn fat and keeps you full longer. Good luck!
  • farkleberrypinerd
    Options
    If you have a sweet tooth, try making these healthy brownies:

Ingredients
    2 cups cooked black beans or canned no-salt-added or low-sodium black beans, drained
    10 Medjool dates
    2 tbsp raw almond butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup natural, non-alkalized cocoa powder
    1 tbsp ground chia seed
    Raspberries or other berries for topping (optional)

Directions
    Preheat oven to 200° F.

Blend the black beans, dates, almond butter and vanilla in a food processor or high powered blender until smooth.

Add the remaining ingredients and blend again. Pour into a very lightly oiled 8 x 8 inch baking pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Cool completely before cutting into small squares. Top with raspberries or other berries if desired.

Source: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/fudgy-black-bean-brownies-and-banana-treat

I made them just last weekend and, although they sound a little weird and have a slightly different consistency than regular brownies, I thought they were pretty good. My mom started stealing a couple every day to have with her morning tea, and she kept telling me that they kept her nice and full so... there you go :)
  • bara_rei
    bara_rei Posts: 49
    Options
    Like someone else said above, watermelon is my best friend for times like that. I can eat as much as I want and it's like 150 calories tops (and that's essentially half a watermelon). Broccoli is another big one for me. I steam it with a lot of my dinner meals because I can stuff myself on it and still not have a huge intake.
    Essentially, fruits, veggies and nuts are the way to go!
  • laurenjessica315
    laurenjessica315 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, spaghetti squash with a tbsp of parm, skinnypop or if I really dont think I'm starving and don't want to cave....
    I do Crest white strips for 30 min and by the time I'm done the craving has usually subsided and I have whiter teeth and allow myself a little snack.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree about soup! So filling if it's good homemade soup. I find that meals with a good mix of carbs, protein and fat usually keep me satiated the longest.
  • farkleberrypinerd
    Options
    Also if you like cottage cheese -- great source of protein! My mom eats it all the time, plain xD She loves it.
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    100 calories snack bags of quaker oaks rice cakes (apple/cinnamon - yummy)

or 1 tbsp of peanut butter right off of the spoon - 90 calories

oh yeah - for something less sweet, cottage cheese all the way - 1/2 cup = 80 calories
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Protein. I have a banana with a tablespoon of peanut and boiled egg every morning. I am full until lunch time. I have cut back on eating snacks during the day because of filling up on protein. If I need something extra throughout the day that isn't lunch or in between lunch and dinner I eat cottage cheese. I also try to stay within my calories without going over or eating back calories.
  • OKSage
    OKSage Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas......I'm hungry 24/7 so maybe some of these ideas will help me!
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Foods with monounsaturated fatty acids are wonderfully filling and often feel like a treat even in the recommended small amounts which is a great combination. For me, two tablespoons of 65% cacao dark chocolate chips sprinkled into Greek yogurt or over a bowl of cut up fruit will keep me satisfied for hours.

Peanut butter on an apple, guacamole with a handful of chips, or olive tapenade on crackers will do the same thing.

Eating protein helps, too, but be sure it's really good quality, or not too much, because you can seriously upset your liver and kidneys overeating on the protein. Still, I think that's why the chocolate chips and Greek yogurt are one of my favorite combinations. That works well!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Anything high in fiber, or other complex carbs, and protein will help fill you up.

This.

Along with fats such as avocados and nuts.

I actually keep a small container with about 1 ounce of nuts just to stave off cravings.
  • dr8679
    dr8679 Posts: 5
    Options
    almonds, cheese sticks, cottage cheese (snack sizes), a banana or some fruit, or even a 1/4 avocado - can all keep full for a while under 100 calories!!!