Drrinking your calories?

ezavora
ezavora Posts: 59 Member
OK, I will put it out there, I cant give up my after work cocktail. I work long hours, in the hot sun, usually stressful, and look forward to a drink or two to unwind.

Im set pretty low for calories (1300) and will eat back my exercise calories when I get them. But on days I dont exercise, Im fine with eating 1000-1100 calories and drinking my 2-3 cocktails (that I log at 100 cal each which may be high? vodka, soda, lime, small glass) My totals, with drink, still hover in the 1300 and Im getting my nutrition. So, is it a big deal Im "eating" under 1200 calories?

Replies

• Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Definitely not optimal...but I don't think you're ready to drop just yet.

Throw a couple raw eggs in your cocktail though, embrace the swole.
  • crowntech
    crowntech Posts: 8 Member
    If they help you unwind, go for it! But I would eat more during the day and eat a lighter dinner. Give your body a chance to burn off the calories during the day instead of at night.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    1 oz is 64 calories, and I doubt they're only giving you one ounce. I'd say the average cocktail has 2-3 oz of liquor in them. So your 100 calories is probably more like 120-200 per drink.

Multiply that by what you drink (2 or 3) and it seems like a dispropotionate amount of your calories are empty. Just my opinion.
  • dr8679
    dr8679 Posts: 5
    I would agree, I love my wine and drinks as well, and even a white wine glass is 120 calories, and vodka is about 120 - 130 without the soda/tonic/mixers.... I would double check the calories online...
  • VeganGypsy
    VeganGypsy Posts: 4 Member
    I, too, love a daily glass of wine or two. In my opinion, in order for this to be successful it has to become a lifestyle, not a diet, and to me that means working in the things that I enjoy. There's such a thing as moderation, of course, and I realize that if I'm kicking back a bunch of empty calories every day I am not going to meet my weight loss goals.
  • We're all adults, totally giving up our drinking seems a little excessive, however, I will say it does hinder the weightloss process, ESPECIALLY if you're going through a plateau. You body concentrates on getting rid of the alcohol first, since it is a toxing, then once it's gone, goes back to focusing on weight loss; however, during thta time of eliminating the alcohol, your body is holding onto the fat you want to lose. So can you lose weight and still drink, Yep. It's just going to take longer for you to reach your weight loss goal. I also switched my alcohol from beer and whisky to vodka sodas, and saw resuls during my first 30lbs loss, but now i'ts more at a stand still and I really watch my alcohol intake.

Good Luck!