New Scale: New Weight AGH!

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
So, with my old scale I had lost 20 pounds and would have hit my initial weight goal by now.

BUT as I got closer and closer to my goal, it wiggled more and more (older spring scale). I bought a new digital scale which is incredibly reliable. Now I'm reliably heavier! When I bought it last week I immediately 'gained' 5 pounds. I've lost 2 pounds since then. But I'm now 8 pounds from my goal. :sad:

Yes, this is stupid and not a real setback. Yes my clothes fit better and better. Yes I was going to lower my goal another 10 pounds when I hit that first one.

But DARN IT it felt better to be three pounds from my goal than 8!

Replies

• conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! Yes, you will lose those eight pounds and you have done so well!

We had an old scale that I literally couldn't see how much I weighed unless I had glasses on and had to count how many notches. It was unreliable!!

My mother-in-law came to visit and is very, very health conscious and in shape-she said my scale was off by 4 pounds. It was off in the wrong direction, which meant I was past the weight I didn't want to ever reach!

So, I bought a digital scale and joined mfp!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    And this is why I won't be replacing my scale during this process LOL. Mine weighs about 4 or 5 lbs. lower than my Dr's office. I'm OK with that - MY scale is my official weigh in scale.
  • nxd10
    Options
    And this is why I won't be replacing my scale during this process LOL. Mine weighs about 4 or 5 lbs. lower than my Dr's office. I'm OK with that - MY scale is my official weigh in scale.

You are wise. Oh well. Now I don't know if I started higher than I thought I did (scary thought), lost less, or both. BUT my pants fit, so I guess that's what counts. I keep telling myself. :)
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I also had this problem, but I didn't let it get me down. Started my journey in January, always had to weigh in a certain spot of the house as our scale was very finicky. We moved houses and I did see a weight gain simply because I was too busy to eat well and exercise. After we settled in, I got back on track and lost a few lbs and decided to reward myself with a new fancy digital scale and even though I had lost some weight, the new scale said I weigh more! Frustrating, but it honestly motivated me to push even harder!! I've lost 10 lbs since then :-) Don't give up, you must persevere or the scale will always win.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thing happen to me when I got my new scale a year or so ago - I "gained" 3 pounds. But the new one is dead on with my doctor's scale. So better the truth you hate than a lie you love is my feeling.

But it stunk. I gotta agree with that.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

You are wise. Oh well. Now I don't know if I started higher than I thought I did (scary thought), lost less, or both. BUT my pants fit, so I guess that's what counts. I keep telling myself. :)

I would say your amount lost should be pretty accurate, so you probably started higher than you thought you did.
  • nxd10
    Options

I would say your amount lost should be pretty accurate, so you probably started higher than you thought you did.

Sad but you may be right. At least I have lost 2 pounds since I bought the scale last week. And I KNOW that is accurate.