Please help with my half marathon training plan!

Options
Okay, I am about four weeks out from my first half marathon. I am not a seasoned runner by any means, but have done 5ks and 10ks in the past. So far my longest run has been 12.5 miles, which was last weekend. I completed that without any difficulty, so I feel fairly confident with running the distance of the half (I do not really have much of a time goal, just want to get this first half under my belt). Here is my question:

The training group I run with has quite a mix of abilities, and the coach himself can run a 2:15 FULL marathon, so as you can imagine his training plan is not designed for the novice. For the rest of our training cycle, our long runs are as follows:
13 this weekend
10 (last long run prior to race day)
Half on Sept 23

I feel as though this is too aggressive for someone at my level of ability. Any suggestions on how to alter the mileage of the long runs as I come up on the race? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    This site has free training plans for beginner, intermediate and advanced runners. I followed its plan when I first started training for 1/2 marathons.

running.about.com/.../a/Intermediate-Marathon-Training-Schedule.htm

Basically the week prior to race should only be an easy 5-6 mile run, 2 weeks out 12-13 miles, 3 weeks out 12 miles, and 4 weeks out 11 miles, or so... So I would taper your long runs down, you don't want to risk injury. During the week, you need to mix your runs up. Do speed work, intervals, and temp runs.

Good luck with your 1/2, they are so much fun!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Personally I like the distance he has you running, I have a 22 miler on September 29 and plan on running 22 miles every weekend in September leading up to the race. Good luck to you on your half.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What's the rest of your weekly mileage look like? I like those long runs, the only one maybe I'd cut back is the 2nd 13 miler, but I like going 15 if your body & other training support it.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    First, a point of clarity please. You reference in your question 5kms, 10kms and running 12.5 miles. You don't state whether your training plan for the coming month is in miles or kms. I'm going to assume miles here.

Purely from training plan research rather than any plethora of half marathon experience (next week will be just my second race) I know there are different levels (depending on experience) of plan types out there, all of which pretty much centre on the long run and then building a mixture of tempo, hills, farleks, intervals and easy runs which vary over the training period.

So those different levels are often described as beginner plan, intermediate plan and advanced plans. However I don't think it's simply a question of how many years you have behind you as much as what your goal is. The begginer plans are oriented around getting you up to distance so you can finish the race. The intermediate and advanced are all about getting faster and more competitive.

You've only listed the long run here, but even with that the distance I can see that (as you say) is not a beginner plan. So if your goal is just to finish then I don't believe you do need to be doing those distances in the lead up to your first race.

If you have a specific time goal and your pace today suggests you aren't going to make it then that mileage would make sense (coupled with a complementary set of other runs in the week).
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Maybe do...

race

You will be able to cover the distance. That cut-back will have you there a little fresher.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    IMHO, you don't need the 15 if your goal is to finish and this is your first one. I would either substitute the second 13 miler or the 15 miler for a 10 miler.

And just to clarify (from a running coach's perspective), the point on your coach running a 2:15 full is moot. It doesn't mean anything in regards to the plan he created for those he coaches, so unless he has you running 15 milers at a sub-6 pace, the plan is for your training, not his. It seems slightly more advanced for a half marathon beginner, but it's certainly not advanced.

Oh and you have a coach (and I'm assuming he's getting paid), so why not approach him with this. I'm a firm believer in having open communication with one's coach, otherwise it might drive a wedge in the relationship.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you run those long runs at the appropriate pace they will not hurt you and will only make you stronger.

You didn't mention your weekly mileage but if it is below 45 mi/wk you could reduce the 15 mi run to a 10 and move one of the 13s to two weeks before the race as suggested above.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I followed the Smartcoach plan from www.runnersworld.com for my first 1/2 back in May. I never actually ran over 11 miles in any run prior to the race. Although, my plan did have tempo and speed work built in during the week. It worked out great for me, I beat my goal time of 1:53:36 by 2:59.
    I'm no expert, but I don't think the long runs are necessary for you at this point. If you feel good about doing them, go for it. But if you feel like the miles are starting to wear on you, back off a little. It's your body and your race...not the coach's.