Vegetarians??

Options
Hey everyone! I'm a vegetarian and although that seems like it would be easier to lose weight, it's not. Anyone else here a vegetarian? What types of things do you eat other than soy meats? I'm in a hole right now where I feel like I only eat soy meats and I'm interested in finding out what other types of foods I can eat while maintaining my Pescatarianism.

Replies

• VeganGypsy
    VeganGypsy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, Lauren! First, I'm a bit confused, are you a vegetarian or a Pescetarian? Vegetarians do not eat meat of any kind, including seafood, but they do consume dairy products. I'm a vegan so it's all off limits to me. :)

I would suggest that you eat a bit less of the faux meats as in abundance they aren't great for you. Try to eat more whole, fresh foods, as much veggies, fruit & whole grains as you can handle. If you want dairy-type foods, try the almond and soy milks & yogurts as they are lower in fat/calories and much healthier than cows milk.

Amy's makes some awesome vegetarian meals if you want something quick that you can pop in the microwave, and if you like to cook there are tons of great veggie cookbooks and websites out there! I like the Happy Herbivore and Chloe Coscarelli.

If you need any more help or advice, please feel free to message me. I've been a vegetarian for many years, a vegan for the past 6 months.

Good luck!

MIchele
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey there....I'm a vegetarian that eats eggs/fish/dairy. but not too much dairy.

Here are some of my favorite sources of protein

Quinoa - quick to make, very tasty.
    ORGANIC eggs - more protein in them,
    Greek yogurt
    Beans
    tuna/salmon
    and of course protein shakes/bars.

Just be aware of how much protein you are getting and you will see it add up.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been vegetarian for a very long time. I get most of my protein from whole grains and beans and Greek yogurt at this point. You're welcome to peek at my diary although my only real variation during the work week is dinner and snackies. Feel free to friend me or ask any questions as well.
  • Sarah_Super
    Sarah_Super Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think people often mistake 'vegetarian' for 'healthy' and its not always the case. It's easy to eat badly as a veggie too! Too much processed fake meat, cheese, ready meals, etc.

I was vegan for some time, then veggie, now I'm pescatarian although I limit myself to fish once a week. I also limit dairy to eggs once a week, and most of my meals are vegan.

I lost a ton of weight when I first went vegan, because I dropped all the processed stuff and replaced with things like lentils, raw foods etc, and experimented with stuff I had never tried before like Quinoa.

:)
  • Dandawa
    Dandawa Posts: 97
    Options
    great answers I follow these items
    you can also do protein shakes for a boost
    peanut butter
    eggs eggs and some more eggs
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    On my good days I eat a lot of beans - black beans with seasonings or lentils with taco seasoning (then sprinkled w/nutritional yeast). Plus I can cook beans in the evenings while I'm doing other stuff around the apartment and then parcel out into ziploc containers and freeze.

I do keep veggie burgers around because sometimes after work I'm starving and need an easy protein/fat fix, but I try not to rely too much on them (note I said try - my food diary is horribly uneven with good/bad days).

Scrambled tofu is good because you can season to your own taste (I use garlic, onion, cumin, sumac and za'atar).
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Serisouly, look up "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman. I've been eating this way and the weight it absolutely falling off. I've lost 30 lbs in the past 6 weeks and feel awesome! Definitely worth looking into. Here is the idea of it:
    EDIT: the animal products here are totally optional.

fuhrman-food-pyramid.jpg
  • VeganGypsy
    VeganGypsy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Serisouly, look up "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman. I've been eating this way and the weight it absolutely falling off. I've lost 30 lbs in the past 6 weeks and feel awesome! Definitely worth looking into. Here is the idea of it:

I love Dr. Fuhrman! Forks Over Knives was also great, just received the new cookbook.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    So I am not vegetarian or vegan, but I *highly* recommend looking at Appetite for Reduction. It's a vegan cookbook that does not rely upon processed foods. Everything I have made from the cookbook is wonderful and yummy.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and managed to lose a decent amount of weight eating the way I do! My diary is open if you would like to see what I eat. :) I'm not big on processed fake meat so that will be rare on my list, I try to stick to the basics and to know what I'm putting in my body! :)