Frustrated but still hitting the gym

Options
Okay, my scale has been stuck on 194 for over a month now so I decided to log it. The hopes it would budge are being given up. I hate the scale. I am frustrated because I feel good but I am not really seeing too much of a difference and I have been consistant with my workouts for almost a year now. I should have better results. I don't know what I am doing wrong other than possibly food. I don't have a horrible diet but I also don't log as much as I should. Could that be it? My starting weight was 200, I know I am stronger than I was when I started with my trainer back in December but I am no where near where I feel I should be. It isn't the number on the scale so much as the fleshbelt that is still clinging on, the back rolls that just don't seem to budge. My face is slimmer and my thighs as well but those are the two areas I was never uncomfortable with in the first place!

Also I have only lost 1 inch in my waist. The other measurements haven't really moved. I only took my chest and "love handles" hip area. I could be doing that wrong as well.

I work out 3-4 xs a week. Boot camp is what I have mainly been doing. It is a circuit type hour long session 3xs a week and then I try to add in either walking, running or yoga on at least one other day. I have played with my calories up or down 500 and nothing seems to work. Do I need to cut more calories? But wheN I go too low (never less than 1200) I am STARVING which is never a good thing for a variety of reasons yet if I go too high I feel stuff and bloated.

I am at a loss as to what is happening. Last year before my wedding I got stuck at 183 so why haven't I even broken through into the 180s?! Sigh. Just needed to vent.

Replies

• minuet42
    minuet42 Posts: 33
    Options
    Sorry, dear heart. I commiserate - I haven't been able to get to my magic 40 pounds lost yet...after six months. It's the worst. But good on you for keeping after it! I have GOT to get back to the gym - I let my membership lapse during my last show, with the intention of finding a better/cleaner/brighter gym...now I have auditions tonight, but still no gym card. Life, amiright?
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. In my mind, the best starting place is to actually log ALL your food (even a piece of gum!). I log throughout the day, and sometimes still forget all the little things I munch on throughout the day. The one thing that I have read repeatedly is that you "can't outtrain the kitchen". Meaning-if you don't watch what you eat, you will have trouble losing- no matter how hard you workout.
    You could try playing around with some BMR, TDEE calculators to see where they estimate your calorie range should be. At 5'11", I've learned that 1600 cals is my magic number. If I go below that- I get hungry, cranky, and very emotional... in addition to not losing any weight. Try these:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

http://www.mylifestylediet.com/calorie-calculator.php

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

I know you're working your *kitten* off- so I'm especially sorry to hear that it's not showing up on your scale or your body!!! Stick with it- you know you're getting stronger.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Log every bite of food! First eat as you normally would, but log it all. See what needs to be adjusted from there.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hun are you taking measurements? I had to start taking them last time I was here I did the same thing and I started tracking my measurements and I was loosing inches just not #'s!!! Keep your head up and dont go under as I did the first go around! If you need we can hold one another above water so to speak lol! Good luck hun
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Closed diary means you really can't expect any useful advice on your diet.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. The gym is keeping you healthy and don't give up on it.

But eating healthy is what will take to lose the weight. Exercise will make you look great and keep you strong and healthy.

Yeah, you have to log. Yes, use your log to see where you can lose calories that aren't worth it to you. And yes, you really can lose weight. You've been doing this a long time. Obviously you're committed. Do it more effectively.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Most likely you are eating far more or far less than you think or need for the amount you are working out. Logging food sucks but it's the only way to know the real truth. I am finding that out the hard way myself. Good luck!!
  • lenatuck
    lenatuck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That's great you're still going to the gym and keeping up with working out, don't lose hope!
    I was stuck in the same situation, I went and saw a nutritionist/dietician to help me out and she's helping me shift the weight, its something to consider, but how long are you staying with eating your calories? give it 3ish weeks on a different calorie goal and see how it goes.
    Also, you could try incorporating some weight training into your regime too if possible, it definitely helps!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    :( weight loss sucks.

I've had to force myself to log a gain several times since I've been using this site... How I've "busted through" has usually been just being consistent, over anything else. That might sound vague, but what I mean is that when I was bouncing my calorie goal around I ended up not going anywhere. Once I picked a calorie goal and kept with it for a month or two, then progress happened/happens.

So... I guess, be consistent about your logging. Make a moderate calorie deficit (at *least* your BMR + exercise calories, IMO... but there are 293847893 different ways to set an adequate calorie goal plan so of course you can choose what makes sense to you). Too low will end up shooting you in the foot in the long run, and too high obviously just won't work...

I'd also look at WHAT you eat, not just how much. Once I started actually eating "real" foods vs. granola bars and canned soup I started seeing better success. I know people say a calorie is a calorie, but I think my body says otherwise. Of course perhaps other people are luckier than me :)

As for exercise, it sounds like you're doing strength and cardio in those bootcamps? Could possibly substitute more strength over cardio, since your muscle mass = more cals burned and all that good business. Plus too much cardio can stress the body so it wants to hold on to fat (so I hear...)

GOOD LUCK! Don't give up!!!!!!!!!

edit for spelling/grammar!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    how many calories are you eat? when you experimented with calories, how long did you do the experiment? It can take up to a month for your body to adjust to calories, so if you upped them, you might have not waited long enough or you upped them too much. Generally, I suggest added 200 calories for a few weeks, and then upping again. Also, we need to see your diary.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I have the same questions as psulemon... It sounds like you're frustrated and you've been playing with variables (like calories) within the space of about a month. Is that right? After changing a variable in my diet or exercise routine, I wouldn't expect change in less than 3-4 weeks.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have opened my diary to make it public for this post.
    I started this back in December again at around 1560 or so calories. Went up to 1670 or so for a few months. Lost maybe a few pounds.

I am good about logging what I eat in the morning and for lunch, so basically everything in the office. It is dinners I tend to not log because either it is a "random" meal my husband or I whip up or we have gone out to eat. I am suspecting it might be what I eat out. IF we do go out I try my darnest to bring some home or share a meal with my hubby since american portions are insane!
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Just an opinion, but :

You seem to do well at breakfast, but lose it with sodium at lunch. Are you eating out?

Also, if you aren't tracking your dinners I can guarantee that you're over eating and over loading on sodium