Constant Cracker Nibbling

Options
I stopped smoking in May 2011 and have piled the pounds on to the point where I hated looking at myself, my relationship was suffering and I had no energy. My main issue is that I substituted smoking for wine, believe me, I could put a LOT away lol. I like good wine, a little too much. I was a long, long, long way off dependent but a whole bottle to myself 3 or 4 times a week was beginning to take it's toll. Couple this with a love of curry and anything Chinese and food brought to your house, well...you get the picture. Have always been on the lardy side but it was getting stupid.

Anyhoo, I made a decision a couple of weeks ago that enough was enough and I was going to do something about it. I did the same when I decided to stop smoking...just got up one morning, thought that's enough now, walked into a quit shop and stopped smoking after 24 years. Haven't touch one since. I do have some willpower, which surprised me. So I am now 10 days into SERIOUSLY cutting down on crap and wine etc...and I am bored with it and constantly craving naughty things. I am not even really missing the wine as I still allow myself a couple of glasses a week...it gives me something to look forward to, but mentally I feel like if food isn't nailed down I will eat it. I am not even hungry. I just want to graze and nibble on crisps and crackers all day. I have only felt like that yesterday and today really and wondered if it was a hormonal, time of the month thing? Or is it normal to go through phases like this and it's more mind over matter? Substituting crackers for strawberries or water doesn't make it better lol. I feel frustrated!

It isn't as though I am depriving myself but despite losing in my first week, I can feel my motivation slipping away....

Replies

• loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Yeah, I am pretty sure everyone goes through these phases...well at least there are two of us. Personally I try to indulge the craving but do it in a way that doesn't trash my goal. For example, I was craving something "snacky" the other day but having planned in advance I had fat free cream cheese and some fairly low Special K Cracker Chips on hand. I combined that with some pepper-jelly and for about 140 calories (1/2 serving of the chips (15) and a tablespoon each of the others) I was happily munching away at what normally would be a sinful party snack. I think the key is, if you deny it, you will frustrate your plan; figure out how to adapt those cravings into something acceptable and you won't be denying yourself anything.
  • cheesypeas71
    Options
    Cheers. I am trying to do just that.