Options

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Ride a bike to work
    cook for 2 days on one night and workout every other day
    plus workout on weekends
    that all together equals 5 session of moderate cardio (bike) and 4 other workouts - 2 during the week and 2 on weekends
    that is plenty
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Get a new job closer to home
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Get some resistance bands and/ or some dumbbells and do training at home; squats, lunges, arms, etc. You don't have to spend a long time with it- just half an hour will work wonders. Not to mention, it will break up the reading and refresh your mind.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Get a new job closer to home

yea that's so easy
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    someone else suggested it, but i'll repeat it: cook in bulk to have plenty of food in your fridge to make preparing meals during more time constrained days easier.

honestly, not all work outs have to be two hour sessions where you leave a sweat angel on the ground. a twenty minute interval run is a great work out.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    jump rope

its easy to carry, I'm sure you can squeeze it in somewhere. Jump rope is no joke either it's one hell of a work out.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you are on your feet most of the day, then you might not need to do much more. Maybe you just need to find a new exercise for the weekends other than cycling. Maybe you could take an aerobics class on the weekends or go for a swim. Sometimes you just have to change up the type of exercise rather than increasing the quantity.
  • LoriA6724
    LoriA6724 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this topic! I'm reading so many great ideas!
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Well, the obvious things are to move closer to work and use what used to be commute time to train. Alternatively, you could get a job closer to where you live. If neither one is possible, do what the other folks here are telling you. :happy:
  • LoriA6724
    LoriA6724 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this topic! I'm reading so many great ideas!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Exercise for a half hour in the morning from 530-6. You can get ready for work in 30 minutes if you have too.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I know this sucks...but I would say go before you go to work. My husband has to be to work at 6 am and goes to the gym everyday at 4 am. I don't have to be to work until 730 so I don't go until 530. It is a long day, but it could work. :) Good luck.

I get up at 4 am to fit in my workout. I work full time, am a (practically single) mom of a 2-year-old, and I'm working on my thesis. I'm go-go-go from the second I wake up until I go to bed.
  • curxxx
    curxxx Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't put exercise in my day, I put day in my exercise basically. That's what everything revolves around..
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit and get in as many steps and stairs as you can. While I was restricted from the gym (surgery) I used my fitbit to get me moving, 10k steps and 10 flights of stairs daily burns a whole bunch of calories, and you can do it like I do, if I would use a phone to call someone on a different floor at work, I get up and go there on foot. I have 5 flights available, run up and down those at lunch. You don't necessarily have to burn it all in a concentrated session. My doctor complimented me for losing another 7 lbs while not being able to workout, lol.
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    Chiming in with the dirty minds.

Lube helps.

:D
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you have a busy schedule. I can relate. I have three kids, a full time job and college courses.

Maybe you could make some meals on the weekends to freeze, so your meals are ready. Use that time in the evenings to exercise to a video, instead of cooking. Or use a slow cooker twice a week.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Put dinner in the crockpot before you leave for work in the morning. That leaves you 1/2 an hour or more before or after dinner to work out.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Ride a bike instead of a bus to work.

That's not always realistic for people. I live in an area that really isn't bicycle friendly not only because of the drivers, but because everything is so spread out!

Is there a different bus you could catch? My roommate parks about a mile from the bus station she catches that takes her into work. She has to walk that mile every morning and afternoon and gets her exercise in that way.

Actually I made that suggestion because her situation sounds very similar to mine. Typically the "Drive-Park-Bus" is for people that live outside a city and don't want to pay the premium of parking downtown. Not many people are riding city buses for more than 10 miles, so it is likely a bike-able distance.

I live about 8 miles away from campus and outside of the bus circuit by 4 miles, and find that I can actually bike to work quicker than I can drive to the nearest parking lot and ride the city bus to campus. Saves time and I get exercise in :happy:
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Cook enough dinner for at least 2-3 meals on one night and then spend the saved time exercising

I think this may be your best bet. That way you don't lose more sleep. Best of luck to you!!
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    So this may not be realistic, but maybe you should consider moving closer to work. You leave at 6:30 to get to work at 8!? That seems like an insane commute to me. I know people who do that, but I think anything more than 30 minutes feels like too much.