Stuck - any ideas?

I think I may have hit a plateau :ohwell:

I'm 3.8 lbs from my goal (although i'd really love to lose a total of 8.8 lbs, but I haven't weighed that since I was a freshman/sophomore in college - 1993-1995 ish). As of right now, I weigh less than I did when I graduated from college.

I'm down to 19% body fat (done with a trainer at the gym using the calliper (spelling?) so I know I"m doing something right. I've checked out my average net cals and it's between 1000 and 1500 most days - MFP says to eat 1440. I easily eat 1500 cals a day, it's the exercise ones that are harder for me to get in (I usually burn at least 600 - 800/day). I mix up my cardio and love doing the circuit class (3 days a week) to get my weights in so my workouts are varied day to day - I stick with elliptical, walking, running, step mill, and biking - all at the gym or on the treadmill at home - but I do different programs and intervals and combinations of the machines.

I'm wondering if I should up my calories to maintain for a while, then go back down or just keep doing what I'm doing and wait for my body to catch up.

Replies

• annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I think I may have hit a plateau :ohwell:

I'm 3.8 lbs from my goal (although i'd really love to lose a total of 8.8 lbs, but I haven't weighed that since I was a freshman/sophomore in college - 1993-1995 ish). As of right now, I weigh less than I did when I graduated from college.

I'm down to 19% body fat (done with a trainer at the gym using the calliper (spelling?) so I know I"m doing something right. I've checked out my average net cals and it's between 1000 and 1500 most days - MFP says to eat 1440. I easily eat 1500 cals a day, it's the exercise ones that are harder for me to get in (I usually burn at least 600 - 800/day). I mix up my cardio and love doing the circuit class (3 days a week) to get my weights in so my workouts are varied day to day - I stick with elliptical, walking, running, step mill, and biking - all at the gym or on the treadmill at home - but I do different programs and intervals and combinations of the machines.

I'm wondering if I should up my calories to maintain for a while, then go back down or just keep doing what I'm doing and wait for my body to catch up.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Yea, once you hit the teens in body fat, it's really an uphill battle. I'd suggest maintaining for a couple weeks or even up to a month, lift hard to possibly gain some muscle mass, and then return to dieting. If you can increase your BMR through increased LBM, your life will be much easier in attempting to drop further into the teens. You may also want to cut down gradually since you'll reach many more plateaus than you did reaching 19%. The closer to get to essential BF (12% for a female) the harder it will be to drop it. I suggest stopping at (or before) 15% so you don't experience amenorrhea or bone loss.

GREAT job! :)
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    your soooooo close. I think this is a matter of tweeking. try a few cals up, maybe it will work. but your talking about tiny amounts of calories here. I don't know if any amount of advice is gonna do it for you. I mean, your so close, I can't even think of advice that would work better then what you have been doing. Remember, with that few calories, your body probably already thinks its where it needs to be. your gonna have to fight it for every last pound at this point. On the up side, your probably the only one who would ever know if you get there, because your already dead on (and I mean that in the BEST possible sense)!

The only thing I can say is, your body doesn't think in terms of pounds. My doctor gave me a 10 lb cushion, it is probably less for you (because I'm a rather large guy) but still. There is no EXACT weight, it's all about what seems right for you. At some point we all have to say "I'm there, now what?" for me the what is core work, for you it may be something else, but IMHO don't go too crazy thinking about the lbs. its all about the life you live!
  • 19% body fat is pretty perfect!
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    When was the last time you took a break from your work outs? The new program im on calls for a one week break every 8 or 10 weeks.

http://www.ast-ss.com

This site is not for every one but it has lots of info and a diffrent approach to muscle building.

Tim.