Anyone have a Fit Bit?

Options
13»

Replies

• IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all the time (except when showering) -- even during my workouts. However, I also use a HRM when doing my kettlebell/cardio, and those calorie burns are entered here on MFP. When the Fitbit syncs up, the information you enter here on MFP overwrites whatever the Fitbit recorded with the slightly more accurate HRM numbers. I also log all my food here, and let the syncing carry over to the Fitbit site.

Why bother with the Fitbit if you're still logging here? For starters, it's a great motivational tool -- you'll find yourself doing laps around your house just to see if you can beat yesterday's numbers. You're more likely to take the stairs to get in an extra flight or two. And it's always nice to see those extra calories the "Fitbit adjustment" adds towards the end of the day if you've been particularly active.

Don't let anyone tell you that it's nothing but a glorified pedometer. It's a surprisingly accurate calculator of TDEE.. I've had friends who have used both the Fitbit and the BodyBugg and find little to no difference in the estimated calorie burn.
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Christylee,

I have one along with a Polar HRM, which I've used for years.

The fitbit is a useful piece of kit, which I think we are only seeing the initial iterations. I think it will develop a whole lot, and integrate into many areas of our lives we aren't yet aware of.

It is easy to misplace, launder, forget about and all that. Something needs to be done about securing it to ones person. I don't have an answer on that one yet. I rather suspect it will be, in future, one of these wearable, flexible pieces of robotics that will accompany us everywhere.

brendan
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    The fitbit tracks your resting calories burned, as well as your active. So, you burn 5 calories a minute just by breathing. It also takes that into account when calculating your calories, though, so it evens out. It's actually kind of cool to see the total calories burned a day, not just from exercise. :)

I never correct people on here, this time I have to. You are mistaken with your resting calorie burn.

There are 1,440 minutes in each 24 hour cycle. If you burned 5 calories a minute just resting, you would burn 7,200 for the day. That

Is not correct. I don't mean this in a snippy way, just don't want people to be misguided. :flowerforyou:

ETA - I use a bodymedia and on my most active day, the most I have ever burned was just over 3600 calories for the day. Most days I stay between 2800 and 3200. On a lazy day when I just lounge around, make dinner, straighten up the house slightly, I only burn around 2300 calories. Those number are for a 24 hour period.
  • SPARTA1013
    SPARTA1013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    What is "Everything" I thought the Fitbit tracked my exercise but If have to manually track and log it using My HRM numbers what am I gaining with this?
    You sync the 2 websites(MFP and Fitbit). Log the the food diary on MFP. Fitbit keeps track of excercise and calories burned and automatically puts it in MFP.
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Got mine yesterday at Brookstone so far I love it...
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I've had one for about four months now and love it.
  • FirstLadySmalls
    FirstLadySmalls Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit & a Polar FT60 HRM & I love them both!! I have nothing bad to say about the handy little gadget!!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love mine!
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Adore the fitbit. I think the most helpful tool I've found is that instead of some generic TDEE depending on what I might or might not have done during the day, it gives me a suggestion at what I have expended energy wise and if I'm hungry at night and have burned lots of calories, I can be guiltless in eating back some more calories. :D
  • biggirl1000
    biggirl1000 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is great and so easy to link up to this site. Highly recommend.
  • rpillen
    rpillen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've had my fit bit since February and have never missed a day. absolutely love it!! i'm very goal orientated so it definatley keeps me moving!
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a couple of months now - I really wanted it only to discover what my TDEE actually is. What I've discovered is that my sedentary lifestyle (other than my workouts) is really less than the 1.2 calcuation most of the sites use. Armed with this information I'm starting 2013 with a new awareness of what my calorie intake should be in order for me to lose.
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit One!!
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip I picked up at the apple store on impulse.
    It's good for casual tracking of my footsteps. I don't pay much attention to the calories. The steps and distance aren't 100% accurate, but they are good enough, especially if you just want to see if you can "beat" the record for the day before.
    Since it's fairly cheap compared to other pedometer/calorie tracker things, I say go ahead and buy one.

Just be sure to not let it slip into the laundry!