Black Friday?

Options
Question for you my MFP friends!!!

Is Black Friday really GREAT? I would be coming from Toronto to Niagara/Buffalo - anyone know if there are insanely amazing sales that go on? Or is it just crowds and congestion?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Betty
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've done it once and will (most likely) never do it again. It is EXTREME chaos! There are people everywhere, grabbing stuff from you - it can be quite hectic. However, I'm not the most patient person so these situations just piss me off :happy: There definately are some GREAT deals, if you want to brave the chaos. My husband and I have decided that we are going to do our Black Friday shopping online from now on. :laugh:

If you do decide to go - good luck :flowerforyou:
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    There was a good article about Black Friday on CNN Money about it yesterday. It talked about making sure you read the fine print about the sales. You might see a really great deal, but then notice that it says that they only have 5 in stock. You might want to check it out. They had good tips to make sure you don't get the raw end of the stick.
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It CAN be wonderful, but you really need a plan. I don't usually go out just for one specific item, but to 2-3 stores that have multiple great deals. That seems to make a big difference. My husband was VERY disappointed one time when he went out very, very early for one specific electronics item. There was an enormous line and the store didn't have a big supply at all. It was wasted effort. On the other hand, I've had GREAT success. I don't know about your area, but I've done really well at Kohls, TArget, JCPenny. Those are usually good ones. The long lines come in spurts, too. IF they line is long, give it some time and try again in a little while...or take a friend/helper to hold your place while you grab stuff. It can be fun! :bigsmile:
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    We have had mixed results. One year my husband and I waited in line at Kohls at 3am for them to open at 5am (there were like 150 in front of us) We did manage to get what we were after. However a couple of years ago my step daughter waited in a line at Best Buy for a laptop they had on sale ALL night long. She was there at 5pm on Thanksgiving. Unfortunately some people cut in line and she missed her laptop by one person! Things like that really take the fun out of it. So for the past 2 years we have decided our sanity, sleep and time are worth more than we can save by fighting the crowds and now do most of our shopping online. Sometimes we will go out around 7am (long after the crowds) and see if anything is left (which we usually do find some deals still). It is your call.. people can be hateful and vicious and take things right out of your hand or basket. I think it was last year someone was sent to the ER where I live because when the doors opened at Walmart for the WII they did not move fast enough and were trampled. I am a pretty laid back person so, for me.. it really is not worth what you save. But, it is your call! Good Luck if you go!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I worked for Sears for 3 years and always worked black friday, its nuts! I know people who get up at 2am to get in line and have a gameplan set and have a blast doing it, but I'm more a fan of sleep than saving money :laugh: I do remember several fights over the last promo item along with crazy lines in awful weather... not my cup of tea. I generally go out around 7-8am for a couple things and like dawnannw and was able to get what I wanted on sale even if I missed the big special deal.

Good luck if you decide to go, from the people that go regularly it seems to me that half the fun is the experience, planning which stores to go to and tag teaming with a friend so you dont stand in line forever.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    My husband has wanted a big screen since the day I met him, but it just was never practical considering our finances. Last year I got an unexpected bonus so decided to purchase one on Black Friday with the money. Despite the mass chaos we got a GREAT deal. A 50' Samsung Plasma that was priced at like $850 I think - after tax it came to a little over $900.

That was the first year I ever did the Black Friday thing and it worked out really good for us, but it was definitely a zoo at the store. I would say that if you have a specific purchase in mind and know where they will have it at a killer price then go for it. Otherwise, if your just browsing and don't like crowds I would advise against it. A lot of the stores have preview ads that you can view on line, check them out if you're looking for something specific.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you're a shopaholic with serious thrill issues, then 5 am Black Friday splurging is for you! Otherwise, stay in bed and wait till the din dies down. Most stuff will still be in the store and on the same sale 12 hours later.
    The one year we went, we hid stuff we wanted around the store, and came back for it later that night when all the crazed buyers had gone home. It was much more peaceful & relaxing, and we still go the same great deals.
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    I've always done black Friday and enjoyed it, however, I think with the worsening economy over the past few years, it's gotten crazy. I saw three fights last year, one at Kohls and two at Toys R Us. I won't be going this year, it's just not worth the stress and anxiety for me.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    THANKS for all the feedback.... okay, sounds like the concensus is "skip it"! It sounds just too crazy.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
    :flowerforyou:
    Happy holidays everyone!