Weightlifting and the "core"

Options
I've been lifting for a few months now and I'm seeing great improvement in my arms, thighs, calves, my booty but my core is really p'ing me off! I have about 10 more lbs to lose so I know "it" (my core) will flatten more by then. So here's my question, what weight-related exercises can I do to help with my core? Any suggestions?????

Replies

• Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Guess I should have chosen a better header :frown:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for a few months now and I'm seeing great improvement in my arms, thighs, calves, my booty but my core is really p'ing me off! I have about 10 more lbs to lose so I know "it" (my core) will flatten more by then. So here's my question, what weight-related exercises can I do to help with my core? Any suggestions?????

None will specifically target it for fat loss, but to strengthen it, exercises like planks, deadlifts, squats etc will do the trick
  • Maryaly40
    Options
    Thank you! Squats...is there a difference doing them on the Smith machine or doing body squats holding a weight in front of you. (That's how I do them now)
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

None will specifically target it for fat loss, but to strengthen it, exercises like planks, deadlifts, squats etc will do the trick

Planks, deadlifts and squats are the best that I have heard of.....though my abs do not look as good as his :blushing:
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    acg is right!! PLANK all the way!!! seriously i do yoga 3x a week and just from that i have NOTICEABLE definition in my obliques! and you can do more than just hold plank, you can bring your knee to the opposite and same shoulder, or lift one leg up and pulse it... there are tons of great exercises!!

i also do squats, deadlifts, and lunges like he mentioned, but i haven't been doing them long enough to give them the credit they deserve! good luck babe!
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    Thank you! Squats...is there a difference doing them on the Smith machine or doing body squats holding a weight in front of you. (That's how I do them now)

i do lots of barbell a.k.a. back squats. you can youtube it for proper directions
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options

Planks, deadlifts and squats are the best that I have heard of.....though my abs do not look as good as his :blushing:

Those are some mighty fine abs...I've been doing every ab machine, plus tons of crunches at every angel..and the obliques machine fo sho...mine are coming along fine, though not quite to where I want them.
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Any machine that helps stabilize your body means those secondary stabilizer muscles aren't getting worked like they should. I suggest reading books in the "New Rules of Lifting" series by Alwyn Cosgrove.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts and isometric training will "harden" them, but losing fat is more dependent on calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Maryaly40
    Options
    You guys are awesome!!! I do do all the above, but I will do more plank exercises. I do an oblique twist (Jillian's way), maybe add some more. Atleast I know now that I'm on the right path and I just need to be patient. Thanks again everybody :flowerforyou:
  • apj79
    apj79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What are deadlifts?
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Donlt use smith machine for squatting. If you are going to do anything with it do Bulgarian split squats. Barbell back squats would be best. You can also do hammer grip dumbbell squats where you hold the dumbells up at your shoulders with hammer grip.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out this book - The New Rules Of Lifting For Abs: http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Abs/dp/1583334130

I checked it out from my library first, then found it for a good price on Amazon. Haven't actually started the program yet because I don't have all the equipment I need and because I'm doing other things at the moment, but it's a great book and might be what you're looking for.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    What are deadlifts?

Oh here, let me do that for you

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+are+deadlifts
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

agreed.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Yes. Form and stabilizing muscles mostly. You'll engage more muscles doing free weight squats than you will with a smith.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Compound lifts and isometric training will "harden" them, but losing fat is more dependent on calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

yep yep
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    What are deadlifts?

Mark Rippetoe explains...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA
  • Maryaly40
    Options

Donlt use smith machine for squatting. If you are going to do anything with it do Bulgarian split squats. Barbell back squats would be best. You can also do hammer grip dumbbell squats where you hold the dumbells up at your shoulders with hammer grip.

I'm gonna try the hammer grip dumbbell squats tonight!
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Planks are good. I have gotten results from using kettlebells also.