In reverse .... HELP ...(calling Banksy ) anyone if you are

Options
I took 1 year to lose15 lbs. I did it slowly a few ounces at a time. It was not too bad to do but was on 1200 a day not realising at the start that was the minimum this site gives to all. I coped.

I was to others not overweight because I still looked ok to them but I felt I was as I have always been "light" and small framed and my start weight was my heaviest since pregnancies. (I am soon to be 54 btw)

I maintained that weight within a 2-3lb frame from Feb till Sept when it started to go haywire. I have been steadily increasing the past two months and have now put on around 6lbs in that space of time and the scales are still going up!!!:sad: I haven't logged as much as I used during this time because I truthfully got so cheesed off with it and I know what I can eat to a great extent to keep within my limits. Only occasional lapses but not enough to warrant this steady increase.

What I would like to know is could this be my metabolism getting too effiecient on the low intake and putting me into starvation mode?

I feel so down about this, I have never had to seriuosly diet before and wanted to do it the proper way so it wouldn't do exactly this and pile back on as they say it does when you lose too quickly.

I am stumped as to what to do now. I eat my exercise cals when I do exercise, which is weekend mornings with two serious swims.

Anyone ..please ..advice greatfully accepted.

Replies

• shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've recently been checking Joel Marion's site: cheatyourwaythin.com He talks a lot about starvation mode, and keeping up your Metabolism, with a calorie deficit for sure, but only moderate. Anyway, you might want to check out his website I think there is some valuable information there.:smile:

You just want to make sure that what you are losing is fat, not muscle! Best of luck to you!
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    hi, I had some what the same problem, also after 50 year old, I just kept gaining and gaining. I am now on Food Lovers for life. You eat 3 meals, and 4 snacks a day. Its a matter of what you eat that counts. I dont eat white products except for healthy life italian bread, and read the food lables. i do have sweets, but a more healthy kind. Not sure if you can afford to do this, it is expensive to start, but well worth it. My blood sugars are normal now, and I no longer take high blood pressure pills. Plus I have lots of energy. Starvation is not the route to do, just makes you want to benge because your depriving yourself of the foods you love. Hope you take my advice Good luck to you, stress is not good for you either. :frown:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Chilli, what is your maintenance supposed to be? And what are you eating normally right now? Do you have an symptoms of a stunted metabolism (I.E. weakness, fatigue, chills, susceptible to colds...etc). Also, what do you do for exercise, and what is your daily activity like?
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi Banks
    Thanks for replying

No ill feelings or symptoms
    my maintenace was only 100 cals more a day, 1300 I think, my exerciase regime weekdays is zilch!!!! I do try and do a 30 minwalk couple of times a week but that is only around 100 cals, I swim weekends quite hard(out of breath but not panting!!!) and the calculator I use tell me that I use around 300ish per session if I take this"moderate" line.

I am not really doing anything different as before. ~Same desk job, same evening ritual. I feel as if my body decided that was enough of that thank you very much and is rebelling!

Food has never been a big issue for meand until the past few years could eat as little or as musch as I liked. Usually snacks and one main meal a day.
    I always starty these days with porridge, have fruit, soup and a packet of rice snack thingys at lunch and a "healthy meal in the evening, usually chicken ,veggies and a minimum potatoes or a chilli/curry with small portion of rice. Wine on weekends cos my exersise cals allow it!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    1300 a day is pretty low, if your maintenance is really that low, the you might just need to tweak it. If it is that low, I would be looking at putting some muscle on. This can be a little difficult as we get older, but it can still be done, adding 10 lbs of muscle over a 3 month period can do wonders for your metabolism. The thing is you do need to be at your maintenance calories to gain muscle. If you're where it says your supposed to be and you're still gaining after months, then your metabolism probably isn't conforming to normal standards, the best thing to do would be to go see a doctor that specializes in metabolic issues, like maybe an endocrinologist, at worst I would go see a registered dietitian. That's all I can really think of with regards to food and calorie intake. On the exercise front, I would definitely set up a couple of appointments with a personal trainer (do your research, ask for referrals...etc), as they will be a big help in adjusting your workout schedule to fit your age, body type, and goals.

best luck to you chilli!

-Banks
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yeah 1300 is low but I am small and have never really needed much, am 110 lbs now but want to get back to 105/106 preferably. Not a lot to most but it is to me!

I will persevere and try some muscle building. I will check things out.

:flowerforyou: :smile: