Hal Higdons Training Programs

Options
Looking to do a half marathon, quite like the look of Novice 2/Intermediate.

Has anyone stuck religiously to any of his plans? Is it difficult to commit? Any advice welcome!

Replies

• runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I prefer Jeff Galloway, personally.

Both should work if you stick to the schedule, it's just a matter of preference. Training is a commitment, but it's important if you want to finish well and injury free.

That said, I failed at sticking to the training when I did my first half, and I won't be making that mistake again.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Difficult to commit? that is up to you.

Hal is a great tried and true plan for completing the distance running. I cannot say the same thing about galloway. It depends on your goals.

Without knowing your goals and your history, i cannot comment on what plan best fits you.
  • Peeriegemgem
    Options
    I started running at the start of the year, did a 12k obstacle course in June, and have run two to three times a week since. My longest run at the moment is 10k, but can comfortably run 30 minutes to an hour. Toying between the Int 2 and Novice. I think because I enjoy Jillian Michaels and other workouts, concerned that I need to give up "other" exercise to commit to the running.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Higdon plans will get you over the finish line. Read all the information on his site as well. There is a reasonable amount of dicussion on how to alter the plan to fit life and how to include cross training..

1) Yes you should try and stick to the intent of the plan as much as possible.
    2) It is not realistic that you will do every run, on the day it is called for. Adjust, move runs around if needed.
    3) On cross training days, cross train but don't kill your legs as you will need them for running.

Good luck on your HM.