Lifting - time?

Options
thrld
thrld Posts: 610 Member
I am lucky enough to have access to a gym at work. They are in a small space and so it is pretty bare bones. Lurking on MFP has made me want to give lifting a try -- to get started I'd have to work with a trainer (the gym is usually empty, if you require instruction you need to 'hire' one of the trainers, or DIY). Cost varies depending on how many sessions, and how long they are. Would it be better for me to book ten 30minute sessions, or five 45 minute sessions (they are priced the same).

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    You'll get 75 more minutes out of the 10 - 30 min sessions than 5 - 45 minute sessions.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to have access to a gym at work. They are in a small space and so it is pretty bare bones. Lurking on MFP has made me want to give lifting a try -- to get started I'd have to work with a trainer (the gym is usually empty, if you require instruction you need to 'hire' one of the trainers, or DIY). Cost varies depending on how many sessions, and how long they are. Would it be better for me to book ten 30minute sessions, or five 45 minute sessions (they are priced the same).

I would go with 10 times for 30 minutes. As it's been said, more time overall. Plus you mainly just need tips and instructions, you can workout on your own.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I recommend you buy and read the book Starting Strength so you get some idea of basic lifts first, then let the trainer critique your form on the lifts. I would not bother with any other advice or suggested lifting programs etc.