Low Calorie Vino

Options
I love my vino! Nothing is more relaxing to me then cooking, sipping my vino and listening to some great tunes! (I prefer classics like Sinatra, Dean Martin, Etta James during this time :) So I've been on the hunt for low cal wines. My most recent find was Carlos Rossi Chianti at a very low 47 calories per 8oz glass, oh yes! Now, it's def not the best wine but it serves as a decent table wine.

Please share your low cal vino finds! :drinker:

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I love Skinny Grape. A great wine for the price and low cal!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
  • kcarlson22
    kcarlson22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Is this a special low calorie version of their regular Chianti? ? I am only finding info stating that Carlo Rossi Chianti has 100 cal per 4 oz
  • DancingNanies
    DancingNanies Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Is this a special low calorie version of their regular Chianti? ? I am only finding info stating that Carlo Rossi Chianti has 100 cal per 4 oz

No, not a low calorie version. That's odd! I got the calorie count off my scanner. :huh:
  • trinaradi8s
    trinaradi8s Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is it sweet?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

That sounds more reasonable, though usually a 5 oz glass is used for measurements.

BTW - if you hyperaerate reds in a blender it can really improve the taste. Just takes a few seconds.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Wines that are more dry will have lower calorie counts. Sweeter wines are higher. I like sweet white wines, but I have found that Fetzer Gewurztraminer has a nice sweetness for only 100 cals per 5oz. That's less than the Moscatos.
  • kcarlson22
    Options
    I was intrigued because I also love to play music cook and sip the vino. I know that alcohol content is directly related to calories, so if they reduce the calories, they have to reduce the alcohol content, like they do with low cal beers. in general a 13% red wine will have 20 cal per ounce. Skinnygirl wines are actually the same calories as you would find in other 12% ABV wines...Marketing genious though.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm all ears if someone knows of a lower cal semi-dry white wine! I will also suggest a wine cooler if you are into white wine--4 ounces of wine plus 1-2 ounces of cold seltzer. Very refreshing and a full wine glass for fewer calories.
  • kcarlson22
    Options
    Find any that is 11% ABV it measures in at about 17.6 cal per ounce
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I just don't think there is anyway that 8 oz of Carlo Rossi only has 47 cal. I don't think there truly is such a thing as low cal wine. I figure most wines are around 190ish for 8 oz.
  • DancingNanies
    Options
    Nope, not sweet at all. Very mild dry red wine.
    Again, I scanned the bottle with MFP scanner so unless that's wrong it's 23 calories per 4 oz.
  • DancingNanies
    Options
    Nope, not sweet at all. Very mild dry red wine.
    Again, I scanned the bottle with MFP scanner so unless that's wrong it's 23 calories per 4 oz.

Has anyone found the scanner to be incorrect?? :grumble:
  • DancingNanies
    Options
    I was intrigued because I also love to play music cook and sip the vino. I know that alcohol content is directly related to calories, so if they reduce the calories, they have to reduce the alcohol content, like they do with low cal beers. in general a 13% red wine will have 20 cal per ounce. Skinnygirl wines are actually the same calories as you would find in other 12% ABV wines...Marketing genious though.

Good to know! I'm wondering if it's 23 cal per 1oz now. Maybe it was entered into the database incorrectly? :sad: I was so excited for this find! Bummer...
  • sueblue77
    sueblue77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm all ears if someone knows of a lower cal semi-dry white wine! I will also suggest a wine cooler if you are into white wine--4 ounces of wine plus 1-2 ounces of cold seltzer. Very refreshing and a full wine glass for fewer calories.
    This. I too dilute my white wine with cold club soda. It adds fizz and volume with no calories.
  • kcarlson22
    Options
    I feel bad, sorry I always hate to be the bearer of bad news. I saw a reference that listed the wine for 23cal for 1 oz. So I assume it was entered wrong in MFP as 23 cal for 4 oz instead of 1 oz. :(
  • DancingNanies
    Options
    I feel bad, sorry I always hate to be the bearer of bad news. I saw a reference that listed the wine for 23cal for 1 oz. So I assume it was entered wrong in MFP as 23 cal for 4 oz instead of 1 oz. :(

Well it's better then me drinking the crap out of it thinking it's so low! LOL. On the bright side, I've been way under my calorie goal so I should be ok! I wish they'd just list the dang info on the bottle alreayd so it's not such a guessing game... oh well!